SagoJonB Guest

Remote backup script

Hi all,

Just finished a little script that works nicely for me, and thought it might be useful for others. Pretty basic stuff, but for those who aren't doing any backups, there's no excuse not to!

Run script as iworx user or add to iworx user crontab. Make sure script is executable, and also be sure iworx owns recursively and has permission to write to /home/interworx/backups/* and also owns /home/interworx/yourkeyfile (also keyfile should be chmodded 400 usually)
    ** This script assumes you've set up keypairs for your remote destination!

I echo space remaining on remote destination to the log because there is only a 10G root device on my remote destination...
    <<-----------------------------------CUT--------------------------------------------------->>
    [root@web ~]# cat /home/interworx/backup-script
    #!/bin/bash
    backup_date=`date +%b%d%y`

#create local backup folder for this backup session
    mkdir /home/interworx/backups/$backup_date

#create the logfile for this backup session
    echo -e "Starting full Siteworx backups locally...\n" > /home/interworx/backups/logs/$backup_date.log

#start full Siteworx local backups
    /home/interworx/bin/backup.pex --domains all --output-dir /home/interworx/backups/$backup_date >> /home/interworx/backups/logs/$backup_date.log

echo -e "\nStarting rsync of Siteworx backups to remote destination...\n" >> /home/interworx/backups/logs/$backup_date.log

#rsync to remote destination
    rsync -avz -e "ssh -i /home/interworx/yourkeyfile" /home/interworx/backups/$backup_date user@host:folder >> /home/interworx/backups/logs/$backup_date.log

echo -e "\nVerify data at remote destination...\n" >> /home/interworx/backups/logs/$backup_date.log

#verify data at remote destination
    ssh -i /home/interworx/yourkeyfile user@host "ls -ahls ~/folder/$backup_date; echo -e '\n'; du -sh ~/folder/$backup_date/*; echo -e '\nSpace remaining on remote destination root device...\n'; df -h" >> /home/interworx/backups/logs/$backup_date.log

#mail full log
    mail -s "Siteworx remote backup report: $backup_date" email@address.com < /home/interworx/backups/logs/$backup_date.log
    <<----------------------------CUT--------------------------------------------------->>

Any thoughts or comments are welcomed

Jon

Level
    what parts of the server does this script backup?

Level
    It looks like it's just backing up all siteworx accounts and then rsyncing them to a remote server.
    Daniel Motles
    Technical Support
    InterWorx-CP | http://interworx.com/

Level
    ok .. i would have loved it to take the mysql dbs as well

the best would be if there was a s3 backup module for nodeworx. Something else then the R1soft module.

Level
    Evanion,

The siteworx backup would also include the mysql databases of the siteworx accounts. Or do you mean the interworx database?
    Daniel Motles
    Technical Support

Level
    I would love both actually ...

Level
    You can get snapshot backups of the interworx database in:
    /home/interworx/var/backups/iworxdb/
    Daniel Motles
    Technical Support