Thread: BIND Support

Level

Question BIND Support

Hi,

Do You have any plans for support BIND as DNS server. Personally I don't like the djbdns package. It's complicated to get AXFR working and edit config files. With BIND it would be really easy, just few lines of config.

Thanks,
    Robert

Level
    Hi Robert

I personally like powerDNS and think this might be a better alternative.

It should be easy to do transfers, and should be easy to integrate, cluster etc and is very current with the very latest standards including dnssec.

I hope you don't mind my thoughts

Many thanks

John

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d2d4j For This Useful Post:

Level
    Hi John,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, it's appreciated.

I think maybe the solution is an interface, and some custom implementations for handling the config generation. Maybe some solution like the plugin system. So if somebody does not like the current implementations, or want to use an officially not supported DNS sever then (s)he can write a simple plugin for handling the generation. I think a standard interface han handle this. As i know powerDNS can handle BIND configurations too, so the switch beetwen them can be really easy. I don't know if the current plugin system is capable of this, but i think it can be extended.

Robert

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vrnagy For This Useful Post:

Level
    Hi Robert

A thought has just occurred to me, which could give interworx a USP which I don't think any CP offers as follows.

If switched to full powerDNS, clustering becomes extremely easy but more, it should allow all hosting accounts to be fully shared on geographically different servers in different countries, and as powerDNS can implement geoip, should give a better result over CDN and provide full high speed website access to most countries based on local servers (I personally think it should be as an agreement between friends etc) in real time as most use Mysql for the data, and all that would be needed in principle would be Mysql duplication, and some content as well as dns, but if using PDNS, it also uses Mysql, so it might be a better implantation and also, should give full fail over I believe.

I'm sorry if I'm wrong, it could just be my mind working overtime and its just a thought.

Many thanks

John

7. The Following User Says Thank You to d2d4j For This Useful Post:

Level
    Hi John,

There is no need of MySQL replication because powerDNS can be superslave, and use SQLite as backend. A minimal hardware is enough for the slave servers, because MySQL is only needed for the master.

Robert

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vrnagy For This Useful Post: