[Tip] Avoid Perl-Problems using additonal Repos CentOS 6.4

Hi,
since Interworx 5.0.x there are additional Repos available in Nodeworx. They can be activated by click. Nice Feature, yet you can ran into several Problems very easily. If you have activated the RHEL 6 - RPMforge.net - extras rpmforge-extras Repo you may find these Error-Entries in your Log-Files:

Error: Package: R-devel-3.0.1-2.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
            Requires: R-core-devel = 3.0.1-2.el6
            Removing: R-core-devel-3.0.1-2.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
                R-core-devel = 3.0.1-2.el6
            Updated By: R-core-devel-3.0.2-1.el6.x86_64 (epel)
                R-core-devel = 3.0.2-1.el6
 Error: Package: R-3.0.1-2.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
            Requires: R-java = 3.0.1-2.el6
            Removing: R-java-3.0.1-2.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
                R-java = 3.0.1-2.el6
            Updated By: R-java-3.0.2-1.el6.x86_64 (epel)
                R-java = 3.0.2-1.el6
 Error: Package: R-devel-3.0.1-2.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
            Requires: R-java-devel = 3.0.1-2.el6
            Removing: R-java-devel-3.0.1-2.el6.x86_64 (@epel)
                R-java-devel = 3.0.1-2.el6
            Updated By: R-java-devel-3.0.2-1.el6.x86_64 (epel)
                R-java-devel = 3.0.2-1.el6
 Error: Package: perl-IO-Compress-2.052-1.el6.rfx.noarch (rpmforge-extras)
            Requires: perl(Compress::Raw::Zlib) = 2.052
            Installed: 1:perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.020-131.el6_4.x86_64 (@updates)
                perl(Compress::Raw::Zlib) = 2.020
            Available: perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.030-1.el6.rfx.x86_64 (rpmforge-extras)
                perl(Compress::Raw::Zlib) = 2.030
            Available: perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.033-1.el6.rfx.x86_64 (rpmforge-extras)
                perl(Compress::Raw::Zlib) = 2.033
            Available: perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.034-1.el6.rfx.x86_64 (rpmforge-extras)
                perl(Compress::Raw::Zlib) = 2.034
            Available: perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.035-1.el6.rfx.x86_64 (rpmforge-extras)
                perl(Compress::Raw::Zlib) = 2.035
            Available: perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.037-1.el6.rfx.x86_64 (rpmforge-extras)
                perl(Compress::Raw::Zlib) = 2.037
            Available: perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.051-1.el6.rfx.x86_64 (rpmforge-extras)
                perl(Compress::Raw::Zlib) = 2.051
            Available: perl-Compress-Raw-Zlib-2.052-1.el6.rfx.x86_64 (rpmforge-extras)
                perl(Compress::Raw::Zlib) = 2.052

You only can solve this by deactivating the rpmforge-extras - Repo. They haven?t released a workaround to fix this Problem yet.

Hi venom

I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve thought this since I read your post and my thoughts are as follows

Interworx I don’t think was conceived to stop any administrator from installing any package they chose to. It is rather an easy, quick and simple interface to allow complete control for hosting package/control.

In the past IW versions, any repro could be used by a few simple steps, which any admin user knew how to do, or easily google, albeit they may not understand the consequence.

Any admin should understand or review the consequence of activating any repro, if not, they should leave at default or take advice. I certainly do sorry, even when I’m sure I know.

Some repo are needed for other packages which they want to install, and does not cause issues, such as ffmpeg etc.

As first thought, interworx is not meant to be draconian to the OS or repro, unlike some CP.

It is as I believe to be a user friendly, with good forum and support advice CP, with enough information for novice to advanced admins to use, but subject to their experience, but still allow other packages to be installed as they see fit.

I apologise in advance though, as I could be wrong but to me, it’s a simple question of, do you a want a draconian install which is limited and dependant upon the CP to dictate the OS, or allow Independant OS with repo, but is dependant upon the admin experience, but with advice easily available, free or otherwise.

I hope I have not upset anyone, and I stress this is my personal view

Many thanks

John

I fully agree with you. The Reason why i?d posted this is that this Issue simultaneously occurred with the OS-Updates and Interworx-Update. I activated the extra-Repo manually, to install certain Stuff (Munin extra-Plugins …) This Error was never shown. I searched for hours, to find a Fix for this error but there were no useful Hints. Only in some Mailingslists was this error declared as a Bug.

Very late I figured out that the extra-Repo the Reason for is.

Note:
I had the following Repos without any Error in use :

• EPEL
  • REMI
  • RPMForge-Extras

Maybe others ran into the same “Problems”. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=VeNoM;24906]I fully agree with you. The Reason why i?d posted this is that this Issue simultaneously occurred with the OS-Updates and Interworx-Update. I activated the extra-Repo manually, to install certain Stuff (Munin extra-Plugins …) This Error was never shown. I searched for hours, to find a Fix for this error but there were no useful Hints. Only in some Mailingslists was this error declared as a Bug.

Very late I figured out that the extra-Repo the Reason for is.

Note:
I had the following Repos without any Error in use :

• EPEL
  • REMI
  • RPMForge-Extras

Maybe others ran into the same “Problems”. :)[/QUOTE]

I’ve got EPEL enabled too, and probably RPMForge-Extras. I’m going to check my logs as well.
Good topic for discussion. Ty Venom.

-T

Your Welcome :slight_smile:

I repeat, i?m not skilled with CentOS and Interworx. I (we) built our Systems based on Gentoo Debian and custom Panels in former times. I think i cant not just yet differ Errors from those, that are not depending from the Interworx-Installation. (but, it?s getting clearer)

So this little talk can be very interesting for everyone.