Wiki in ScriptWorx

Hello-

We’re going to add at least one Wiki to ScriptWorx- Does anyone have any experiences/preferences? Possilbe Wikis to add are MediaWiki, PHPWiki, and/or DokuWiki.

Feedback is appreciated :slight_smile:

–Dustin

MediaWiki, PHPWiki

All of them. :slight_smile:

Also, when is the next version of InterWorx coming out? Just wondering, since it promises so many new features… :slight_smile:

:smiley:

We dont have a firm release date but Chris posted something a week or so back hopoing for a pre-Chrstmas release. We’ll have to see.

MediaWiki is the one chosen for the dev version, we may need to change that though as someone told me that the newest version of that requires php5 and not all Iworx boxes (in fact the vast majority do not) have php5. It’s also possible we will just stick with the most recent version that works on php 4.3

MediaWiki (and yes, you’re right Tim - but the version that works with 4.3 is just dandy).

Tim I’d say DokuWiki. I absolutely love it. Its great, solid, and doesn’t require a DB. Setup is as simple as copying over the files, changing a directory (and children) to be world-writeable, and for simplicity, making the config file writeable. I’d even package the thing for you if I wind up with some downtime (and considering that my biggest client is broke…).

That was our second choice IIRC. We use duku to create the iworx site and then a script generates html pages for the site itself based upon the wiki.

One thing a lot of people won’t like however is the need to change files and directories to word writible.

We’ll keep your offer in mind :slight_smile: Regardless you’ll be free to package any SW module you want and offer it to the community. Instructions on how to do so are on the site now, it just won’t work with the 2.1.3 bundled ScriptWorx.

I would hate to have a Wiki without a DB… it would be so slow either using flatfiles to store data, or directly editing/writing .html files on a big wiki :frowning:

I’d prefer MediaWiki, especially since I have PHP5 :smiley:

Why not offer two versions, one for PHP 4.3 and one for PHP 5.x? Then the nodeworx admin can uncheck the one which isn’t for his/her PHP version.

[QUOTE=Fr3d;10628]I would hate to have a Wiki without a DB… it would be so slow either using flatfiles to store data, or directly editing/writing .html files on a big wiki :frowning:

I’d prefer MediaWiki, especially since I have PHP5 :smiley:

Why not offer two versions, one for PHP 4.3 and one for PHP 5.x? Then the nodeworx admin can uncheck the one which isn’t for his/her PHP version.[/QUOTE]

For something the size of Wikipedia, yes a DB makes sense. But the majority of installs I see for wikis (not counting large software projects) really don’t need much. The less there is to break, the better.

The documentation section of the InterWorx site is quite large and I’ve never seen any issues with speed there (though there is rarely more than one or two people working there at a time). I think that if we add Duku it would be in addition to Mediawiki not as a replacement. Don’t expect anything for a while yet though, as it’s gonna be a pain to keep the existing script library up to date. :wink:

I think the real question here (and it’s JB has already weighed in on it) is wether we should keep an older version of MediaWiki that works on php 4.3 OR replace it with a new script alltogether.

MedaiWiki was chosen because when this thread was started Dustin didn’t get much feedback and he, Chris, and I were all familiar with MW. I still think it’s one of the best wiki out there.

The only negative thing I have to say about Duku is image handling, and I know Chris will agree here. We never got the the built in image handling system to work so we resorted to just uploading the images to the /images directory on the site and then using plain ordinary HTML. This works for us, having a “closed” wiki, but I can’t imagine using it for an open one. Do you have a way around this?

I would personally like to see the PHP4 supported version.

Reason: all of our boxes use PHP4 and as much as I would love to upgrade to PHP5, we have too many ‘legacy’ sites and projects hosted which would break. For this reason, and the fact that 99% of PHP4 scripts work on the PHP5 parser, I would suggest for compatibility it would be best to stick to the slightly older version.

However, if someone with a PHP5 box would like to test the old version to check that would be great.

OR (and better still) if the Iworx guys could sort out a supported way of running PHP5 inline with PHP4 through a different handler, then have the ScriptWorx put in a htaccess file for the scripts’ folder making it use PHP5… that would be great :wink:

Wink wink, nudge nudge. :smiley:

[quote=EverythingWeb;10644]I would personally like to see the PHP4 supported version.

Reason: all of our boxes use PHP4 and as much as I would love to upgrade to PHP5, we have too many ‘legacy’ sites and projects hosted which would break. For this reason, and the fact that 99% of PHP4 scripts work on the PHP5 parser, I would suggest for compatibility it would be best to stick to the slightly older version.[/quote]

Many many people are in the same boat as far as legacy sites or scripts they still use which do not yet support php5.

Just for clairification:

Currently ScriptWorx is not capable of determining system requirements for scripts (php or mysql version, available disk space, etc.) and wether they are satisfied, so every script we offer through the system must:

• Work on both mysql 3 and 4 since we do not provide these rpm's and some supported distros come with each
  • Work on php 4.3 because it is the version we provide
If it runs out of disk space it errors out.

That being said you can create SW modules with any system requirements you want, BUT you are responsible for making sure your servers are capable of supporting those requirements before offering them to clients.

Yeah that’s fine Tim. Wasn’t having a dig or anything :slight_smile:

It was just a suggestion that maybe if people want MW, but some want this and others want that, that if it were possible to have a PHP5 CGI and include the latest MW version.

I’m quite happy sticking with PHP4 stuff - but that’s 'cause I’m not interested in upgrading our boxes to PHP5 as I dread to think how many tickets we would get :wink:

I’ve only used the image uploading function localy, and it worked perfectly.

[quote=EverythingWeb;10646]Yeah that’s fine Tim. Wasn’t having a dig or anything :slight_smile:

It was just a suggestion that maybe if people want MW, but some want this and others want that, that if it were possible to have a PHP5 CGI and include the latest MW version.

I’m quite happy sticking with PHP4 stuff - but that’s 'cause I’m not interested in upgrading our boxes to PHP5 as I dread to think how many tickets we would get ;)[/quote]

Understood, the post wasn’t just for you but for everyone’s benefit so they can understand the system.

php5 as cgi is what we’ve been recommending to clients so it’s entirely possible at some point we’ll do as you suggest. We’ll have to see.

mediaWiki would be my choice - but any / all would be nice and marketable.