Need information about your cluster/LB solution

Hello,

I’d like to go with interworx-cp but before I would like to have some more informations about your cluster and load-balancing. It’s just to be sure I understand well.

1- To be load-balanced a request has to be sent to the cluster manager itself ?

• If yes it means that all domains has to be hosted on IPs owned by the cluster manager itself, basicly all domains has to be hosted on the cluster manager itself ?
  • If I host a domain (so a siteworx account if I understand well) on one IPs of a clustered server, the reauest to this domain couldn't be and won't be Load Balanced ?
I ask this just to be sure we will have to host all of our IPs on the cluster manager itself and let just one IP on others clustered servers.

2- We plan to use a nas storage or a files server for the shared storage. On this box there will have a home partitions and is it possible to have a /var/lib/mysql partition to externalise the db from the cluster manager ?

3- This auestion is more for interworx-cp community and their experience about growing. Tell today in this nas or files server we use 600GB for home. Tomorrow if we need to have a larger home partition, is nodeworx able to move the home partition to a new larger one or to increase the existing one ?

• Basicly how do you manage you growth needs ? if your home partition is nearly full, what do you do ?
Thank you for you answers Paul Feige

Hello

I do not use the cluster of Interworx yet. What I know it’s LVS use a virtual IP it’s like an alias (in fact it should be one) on all nodes and manager. So basicly when a request is made on this IP all nodes know they have to load balanced this request.

I think that the cluster manager keep all the IPs that have to load balanced.

As I do not us and even tested this cluster I can’t tell which IP is writen in the DNS record (Virtual one, the IP of the cluster manager, the IP of one node ) I even don’t know if you have the ability to choose an IP outside the manager to create a siteworx account.

Maybe a user that use the cluster or an Interworx team might answers to this.

I definitly have to test it :slight_smile:

Sorry I didn’t help you

Pascal

1- To be load-balanced a request has to be sent to the cluster manager itself ?

* If yes it means that all domains has to be hosted on IPs owned by the cluster manager itself, basicly all domains has to be hosted on the cluster manager itself ?
* If I host a domain (so a siteworx account if I understand well) on one IPs of a clustered server, the reauest to this domain couldn't be and won't be Load Balanced ?

The cluster manager has a given set of IPs that you mark as “clusterable”. By doing so you actually assign these IPs to all of the nodes in the cluster. So in essence all of the nodes share the IP pool but only the CM answers ARP requests so only it will get new requests. Once it gets a new request it simply passes of the request (load balances) to one of the nodes (using the known MAC addr of the node so ARP isn’t involved). So to answer your question:

1. Domains are hosted on the cluster, but the CM doesn’t have to serve any content if you don’t want it to
  2. Yes, reuqests are load balanced and hopefully the above explanation makes it clear how. If it’s not clear just read about it on the LVS site which goes into a bit more detail: Virtual Server via Direct Routing

2- We plan to use a nas storage or a files server for the shared storage. On this box there will have a home partitions and is it possible to have a /var/lib/mysql partition to externalise the db from the cluster manager ?

Yes, you can have a /var/lib/mysql partition for MySQL content.

3- This auestion is more for interworx-cp community and their experience about growing. Tell today in this nas or files server we use 600GB for home. Tomorrow if we need to have a larger home partition, is nodeworx able to move the home partition to a new larger one or to increase the existing one ?

You can do a few things:

• Upgrade storage to a larger NAS and move content over
  • Add a 2nd/3rd/4th disk and move/symlink old homedirs

Chris

Hello

The cluster manager has a given set of IPs that you mark as “clusterable”. By doing so you actually assign these IPs to all of the nodes in the cluster.

I think that what Paul aksed and what you mean it’s that the IPs that are marked as “clusterable” are set on the cluster manager indeed. I mean are set in /etc/sysconfig/…

So the short answer top Paul question

I ask this just to be sure we will have to host all of our IPs on the cluster manager itself and let just one IP on others clustered servers.

is yes as long you want to Load balance these IPs. Basicly if you’d like to have all your IPs schems load balanced they have to be set on the cluster manager itself and then set as clusterable. In this cas on the nodes boxes you’ll only need one IP to communicate with the CM.

I tell this because I have speaked with Pfeige (he is french too) and if I understand well today he has few box with few IPs on each boxe. So Tomorrow he will have to set all the IP he wants to be load balanced on the CM indeed.

say:
Box1 had ips xxx.xxx.001.01 xxx.xxx.001.02 xxx.xxx.001.03
Box2 had ips xxx.xxx.002.01 xxx.xxx.002.02 xxx.xxx.002.03

So if he wants that all .02 and .03 IPs become load-balanced he will have to define all IPs .02 and .03 from box2 to box1 and remove the definition of these IPs on box2 to finally have.
Box1 have ips xxx.xxx.001.01 xxx.xxx.001.02 xxx.xxx.001.03 xxx.xxx.002.02 xxx.xxx.002.03
Box2 have ips xxx.xxx.002.01

Am I right chris ? or the CM is able to define clusterable Ips even if they are defined on a node box ?

Pascal

You are right Pascal. The nodes must not have the IPs bound to them in our clustered setup as iworx-cp does that for you. You simply bind the IPs to the CM and then mark them as “clusterable” which will then bind the IPs to each node via the API.

Chris