Reverse DNS and other DNS question

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to setup Reverse DNS (PTR records) for entire /24’s of IP addresses? We have several /24’s that we control Reverse DNS on, and it would be great if we could create a zone file for each and then either import our old BIND zones, or be able to edit the zone file manually so we don’t have to input each entry manually.

Also, for some of the domains we’re using on this box, we host the DNS for them elsewhere. Is it possible to delete the DNS zones for sites on the InterWorx box so that the zones we setup on another server are used? I’ve never used this DNS system before, so I didn’t want to break anything.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Hi Webjunkie,

For the large majority of cases, you won’t want to delete the DNS zone for a SiteWorx account on the box. As long as the domain’s nameservers are pointing to the other DNS server, there is no harm in having the DNS zone on the InterWorx server. Actually, a couple of InterWorx internal functions depend on the DNS zone being there (e.g., determing the IP of a SiteWorx account), so it’s just better all around to leave it alone.

I’ll have to get back to you on the reverse DNS question. :slight_smile:

Socheat

Thanks for the info. That’s what I thought; but I wanted to consult first before I did anything.