Solaris

Does interworx support/run on Solaris 10?

Thanks.

According to the currently supported Distributions, I would hazard a guess no. Although to confirm, one of the devs should be along in the not so distant future :slight_smile:

I’m not a developer but I can confirm that it will not work nor is Solaris support planned.

:(, because there isn’t much demand for it?

Solaris is a great OS, but I guess you have already looked into it and decided to go in another direction.

There are many “great OS’s” and we don’t like to get into the “This OS is Better than That OS” arguments because they are pointless as each OS has it’s Pros and Cons.

Like everything else our developers started with what they knew. Nexcess,Net used Red Hat Linux and the first InterWorx was written for Red Hat 9. Then as that depreciated they moved on to both Fedora Core and CentOS/Red Hat Enterprise Linux. That’s not a knock of any other OS, it was simply the natural progression from Red Hat 9.

We will be expanding to Debian and FreeBSD starting sometime next year because of significant client demand and developer familiarity.

We’ve had very few requests for Solaris. That’s not a bad thing and I’m sure it is a very god OS, but for the time being there are no plans to add it. If there was a lot of demand for it it’s possible it could be added at some point, but as of now there are no plans for it.

If you really like InterWorx (and if you are posting here I assume you like what you see) I’d recommend you take CentOS 4 for a test and see how you like it. :slight_smile: If not, check us out again sometime in the future.

Sun servers in general have signifigant performance improvements over x86 and x86_64. Their processors have 8 cores, Solaris supports ZFS as a file system (which leaves ext3 and the rest in the dust), etc. However, I must say Solaris sucks from my experience. I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens with Intel/AMD in the future and hope that Linux developers will start to use ZFS in the future!

I don’t personally use Debian or FreeBSD very often, but some of my co-workers I’m sure would love to see Debian support in particular. Keep up the good work =]