PHP 5.0.x

When will InterWorx be supporting PHP 5?

Would there be any problems doing a manual upgrade
…or would it be better to wait until InterWorx updates PHP through YUM?

Thanks,
Justin

The short answer is, as soon as enough users need/want it that it reaches critical mass. To this end we do have SRPMS available that you can try out now after rebuilding it for your platform. I have no guarantees that it will work out of the box and I’d honestly assume it won’t, but feel free to try it and tweak. Also note that php4/5 will not co-exist nicely, so installing 5 is an all or nothing thing at this point. You have been forewarned :slight_smile:

To build / install:

rpmbuild --rebuild --with <your platform> http://updates.interworx.info/iworx/SRPMS/experimental/php-5.0.1-100.iworx.src.rpm
cd /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386
rpm -Uvh <whichever packages you want for PHP>

Where <your platform> is defined in this post:

http://interworx.info/forums/showthread.php?t=179

Chris

Why would you think that PHP 5 wouldn’t work, it’s no longer a beta or RC version? I guess I can hold off, I really just want it for the built in SOAP function versus using the PEAR ones.

Is there anyway to get an evaluation version of InterWorx (NodeWorx/SiteWorx) to install on a test box and test before doing it on the live server? This would also be good for beta testing InterWorx new releases which I wouldn’t want to do on our live server.

Thanks,
Justin

PHP5 has some major changes in code structures, etc. It isnt so much that php will break (bugs), it is that it may break the code.

It could be something as small as syntax has change, to as big as a major function is no longer compatable.

That’s a good point.
So I could test my own code on a test server, but it may still “break” iWorx.

Which brings up my next question…

Chris, I know you said you can’t have PHP 4 and 5 on the same system, but would it be possilbe to run iWorx off of PHP 4 since it’s in its own seperate container from the rest of the sever and have the regular webapges on the server use PHP 5?

This isn’t a really important issue to me right now, but I’d just like to know if in the future I had a very pressing need to use PHP 5 and iWorx still wasn’t tested on it.

Thanks for the info

Hi Justin,

IWorx uses it’s own, totally self contained PHP version now, as well as it’s own self-contained web server. Changes to the “system” php and httpd will have no effect on IWorx, so you don’t need to worry about that.

Paul

Why would you think that PHP 5 wouldn’t work, it’s no longer a beta or RC version? I guess I can hold off, I really just want it for the built in SOAP function versus using the PEAR ones.

I didn’t mean PHP itself wouldn’t work Justec, just the SRPM I put up there which has never been thoroughly tested. I’m farily certain it compiles clean, but doing an rpm -Uvh <php 5> may not be an out of the box solution, which is why that RPM is in the ‘experimental’ section of the RPM respository.

If you’re familir with RPMs or just want to do a source build of PHP I’m sure you can get it working. And as Paul said, iworx-cp uses it’s own self-contained PHP so you can freely tweak the system’s php without breaking things.

Chris

Thanks for all the help and advise.

After reading everyone’s comments on this I may play around with PHP5 on a test server, but for the real deal I’ll just stick with PHP 4.

“If it’s not broke, don’t fix it!” :smiley:

Justec - This is an a problem w/ everytime there is a major upgrade in a language (we had do deal w/ it going from php3 to php 4).

IWorx-Chris , IWorx-Paul - Im very glad to hear that Interworx planned ahead, and everything is self contained. Wish i could say the same for my apps :slight_smile: