Migration questions

I am moving my server from a P4 2.0 with InterWorx to a P4 3.0 with InterWorx. So many other people are looking at doing this I will be authoring a Wite Paper on my experience to assist others.

I have made a copy of the file system of my old server on that server’s secondary hard drive and had that drive transferred to the new server (which also comes with a secondary hard drive). This way I know I have ALL of the files I will need.

Per Chris’s suggestion I am in the process of re-creating my SiteWorx accounts on the new server rather than trying to “restore” InterWorx since he indicated the probable existance of database errors in the process…

Basically I have two Mozilla tabs open (one for each server) to the NodeWorx => SiteWorx screen. I am creating these in the (reverse or the) same order listed on the old server since this is the order that they were originally created in and want to make sure that the system user for each SiteWprx accunt (and hopefully the UID and GID) will be the same.

After this I will go through the domains that have websites or email (a number of them are just “parked” so this isn’t all of them) and writing down the email boxex and passwords, subdomains, pointer domains, databases and database users.

Is there an easy way to back up the database users and their passwords or do I need to re-create them from scratch? The reason I ask is that I didn’t use the same database password for each database and InterWorx does not display the passwords in the interface. I have a lot of PHP scripts (phpBB and others) installed on the server and the only way I know to find out these paswords is to look at each script’s configuration file or use new passwords and manually edit the config file. Is there an easier way to do this?

Also, when I get to moving my files over what attributes to the CP command do I need to preserve a files’s readable/writable status?

I am sure I will have other questions as I go further in this.

Basically I have two Mozilla tabs open (one for each server) to the NodeWorx => SiteWorx screen. I am creating these in the (reverse or the) same order listed on the old server since this is the order that they were originally created in and want to make sure that the system user for each SiteWprx accunt (and hopefully the UID and GID) will be the same.

Actually, tar stores the username in the archive and not the numeric UID/GID, which is good :). As long as the usernames are the same (and they should be) you’ll be fine here.

After this I will go through the domains that have websites or email (a number of them are just “parked” so this isn’t all of them) and writing down the email boxex and passwords, subdomains, pointer domains, databases and database users.

I apologize in advance for this Tim, and yes, that’s how it’s done now. This will be fixed “soon” as in the next release if we can swing it. A SiteWorx backup -> restore is coming that will do this for you.

And now that I saw this let me see if we can get you a BETA version of this script now, to save you the headache.

Let me see where it’s at and I’ll post / contact you today if I can.

Chris

Thanks Chris. Like I said this is going to be a headache. I have about 15 of these scripts (phpbb, phpnuke, etc.) installed on the server and while only a couple of them are “critical” to get up and running now, that’s still a lot of work.

Hi Tim,

If you give me your box information, I’ll install the backup/restore script we’ve written to handle backing up and migrating Siteworx accounts, as well as give you instructions on how it’s used. It’s only been tested between internal Siteworx boxes, but it has been working well in the tests we’ve run. Thanks for testing it out for us. :slight_smile:

Socheat

Actually, it would be better if you opened a support ticket and supplied your information there instead.

Done. I assume you need info for both boxes. It’s no problem doing a test for you. In fact it’s you who are helping me out.

Tim

Hello,

I know that you do not give ETA information about your releases but as I just reveived my root acces for my new Centos/interworx 1.8.0 server, I’d like to know if I begin the migration without your Backup/restore release or if I wait for it (what it should be more easy)

Tim :
Finally, what did you use ? tar, cp, rsync ? and could you give me the list of folders you copied to able me to compare the list I’m planning to backup (just to be sure I do not forget something)
A last thing, did they migrate the old IP to your new server ? or do yu have new IP ?

Thanks
Pascal

We’re still working with Tim on this Pascal and if the backup/restore script works (it is still very beta) then we’ll of course let you use it as well. We should know more today or tomorrow Pascal and we’ll update this thread with how things go.

Chris

I used tar to do a complete backup of / to my second hard drive. Then had Sago move the second drive to the second server (both come buldled with two hard drives).

In order to move the IP’s Sago would have to move the box to a different rack. Since the new box is in the NEW part of the dataceneter I don’t want that (even if I could convince someone to do; as I understand it’s an arduous chore to change the IP block on a set up server).

As you may be aware I use my own name servers ns1. and ns2.transwarphosting.net and will simply go to my registrar (domainsite) and change the IP’s assigned to them when i am sure everything is setup correctly.

I am writing something about my experiences so anyone interested in it may learn from it but I don’t expect to be done with this untull late tomorrow (Tuesday) evening. I have things going onthis evening and work days tomorrow.

As Chris says this is very BETA and COMMAND-LINE-ONLY but so far the backups are going fine. Will keep you updated.

Cool !!!

I’m not hurry.

Thanks to share your knowledge :slight_smile:

Good luck

Pascal

There are some glitches in the restore script and they are working on it. They know what is causing the errors and are working on finding out why and fixing it.

If you are using regular HTML websites that doesn’t use databases, pointer domains, and other fancy features, I’d advise just moving your sites over by hand. The command line is akward for someone not as familiar with doing it that way and you may find the other way easier and faster. You have to specify the name of the domain you want to back up and what you want to call the backup file as well as the path to the script itself. I’m okay with this but users wo are less comfortable in the shell may find it easier to do it the old fashioned way.

If you prefer to wait that’s okay too. The script is nice when it works :slight_smile:

And as I’ve told Socheat I’m okay with all of this I knew full well what Beta is when I agreed to do this and have backups of all of my data on a second hard drive. Even when they do get the bugs worked out I’d advise anyone doing things this way make a backup “just in case.”

We’ll keep you posted.

Tim

Thanks Tim,

Well, now I have my 2nd HDD installed and mounted on my old server.
I’ve done a rsync --delete -a /home /my2ndHDD

It keeps rights authority,

I think that I will backup all the /home/. directories and use the interworx backup/restore utility too (for mails, iworx database, user database)

Then on my new server Restore both rsync and interworx backup files.

For all ‘home’ softwares (spamassassin, clam, ircd, …) I think I will reinstall them manualy (wait to know if in the next release spamassassin will be installed).

Could yu list all the directories yu backup/restore and that are absolutly necessary

Hope the next iworx release ETA will be for this week-end (as I’m not at home during the few next week)

Pascal

NP

Well, now I have my 2nd HDD installed and mounted on my old server.
I’ve done a rsync --delete -a /home /my2ndHDD

It keeps rights authority,

I think that I will backup all the /home/. directories and use the interworx backup/restore utility too (for mails, iworx database, user database)

At minimum I would make a backup of

/home – your sites

/etc – your databases and config files (you don’t need all of it but I’d rather have more than I need than not enough)

I will be posting about my experiences with the restore utility in a moment.

Then on my new server Restore both rsync and interworx backup files.

For all ‘home’ softwares (spamassassin, clam, ircd, …) I think I will reinstall them manualy (wait to know if in the next release spamassassin will be installed).

That is advisable. RH9 and CentOS may appear the same on the surface but they are different OS’s and you may run into problems if you just transfer files. I intend to reinstall mailman from source.

Could yu list all the directories yu backup/restore and that are absolutly necessary.

With the restore untility all you need to do is set up InterWorx the way you want it (name it, crate packages, name servers, etc.)

The Backup/Restore utility will save all of the web, database and other files you need in one convenient archive, but I strongly advise you to also have a regular backup “just in case”

This is done on a domain_by_domain basis, and you save an archive in .tar.gz format.

You need to transfer the file to the other server (via scp, sftp, or wget – your chouce but you get permissions problems with wget) run a command on the new server and follow the prompts specifying the archive name and location the IP you want it on, etc. It will restore everything.

Hope the next iworx release ETA will be for this week-end (as I’m not at home during the few next week)

Pascal

I’m sure 1.8.1 will be released when they think they have fixed all of the buggs in 1.8.0. If you set the auto-update to ON in NodeWorx it will install it for you if it comes while you are away from home.

As I’ve insinuated I completed the backup/restore of my old/new server and things appear to have been successfull. So far so good. The domains all resolve as near as I can tell and the database seem to be working. Everything is where it should be.

Fair warning: This has NOT been completely smooth. There were bugs in the backup and restore scripts that Socheat and Chris have spent a good amount of time fixing. I know I re-created the backup archives at least twice and Socheat did it at least once. At one time of another over the last week or so Socheat, Chris, and Paul all worked on my server.

I THINK the buggs are probably fixed but last I heard they were still examining code. I’m not sure when they will feel it’s ready to try on another server.

Thanks guys for letting me try this. It was fun. :slight_smile:

I’ll keep you posted as to any other oddities that I find.

h?h? glad to know everything is fine for you

Iworx team is really good :slight_smile:

Well here is how I plan to migrate my data. I have changed my plan to take in account your advises. Thanks tim :slight_smile:

just waiting for the backup/restore iworx tools

I plan to do this :
1 - on my new server change the dns serveur to a false one (ns1.toto.com)

2- Create on the new server all Siteworx/shell accounts

3- Backup siteworx account from the old one to my 2nd hdd

4- rsync /home and /etc from the old one to the 2nd HDD

5- Install 2nd HDD on new server

6- Restore siteworx backup on the new one (from my 2nd Hdd)

7- Restore the data of the shell accounts (from my 2nd hdd)

8- Install ‘home’ software manually on the new one (wait to know if the next iworx release will have spamassassin, ETA ???)

9- Modify the IP dns serveur at my registrar

10- modify the dns serveur on the new one to the real dns serveurs

11- test everything

12- drop my old server

13- enjoye

Hmm it’s ok I’m not supersticious, I’m sure I’ll enjoye on the 13 tasks :-p

Do you think I forget something ?
Does it sound fine ?

Thanks
Pascal

I have to comment to that many of the bugs weren’t actually with the backup/restore script but the system itself. The interworx install wasn’t originally “clean” and there were some mail, dns and other issues with permissions that we had to fix after the fact. On a “clean” install these problems wouldn’t take the time they did with Tim’s system.

Tim’s help with this process was much appreciated as well as we had to muddle through some parts because of the original system install. I concur that his system should be all set now and thanks Tim for participating!

Chris

one more time this post show how much how the “collaborative working” is one of the best way :slight_smile:

Chris, do yu have any comments about my plan ?

Pascal

I’ll check it out and post later this evening pascal, I don’t want to rush to post without reading/thinking.

Chris

no pbm and sorry if I’m ‘always asking’