logwatch

I just noticed something. I haven’t gotten any logwatch emails from my new CentOS server. How do I turn that on (or install it if it isn’t there)?

Thanks.

same for me.

I have checked the /etc/log.d/logwatch.conf and everything seems to be fine.

Crond is started, and there is a file in /etc/cron.d/ named 00-logwatch

Tim, Just to be sure I changed the email adress from root to one of mine (in case of root is not aliased to one of my mail) in the /etc/log.d/logwatch.conf

Will see if it’s ok and let yu know

Pascal

Pascal,

root@yourserver.com goes to your nodeworx email address

I just typed the command logwatch a few miniutes ago and low and behold I got the report. I wonder if I just needed to start the service the first time or if there is more to it than that.

I tried logwatch --help and it gave me a whold slew of commands to go with it.

I guess I’ll see tomorrow, if I get another one.

Tim

PS Odd, the /etc/cron.d/ directory is empty on my box.

Tim apparently there is no mail alias for root on our new centos box.

On my old boxe if I do under root
cd ~alias I find something

On my CentOS box there is nothing

Maybe try to do (it will route these adresse to your postmaster email adress)

echo 'postmaster@yourdomain.com' > ~alias/.qmail-root

You can do the same command for others email adress as :

echo 'postmaster@yourdomain.com' > ~alias/.qmail-postmaster
echo 'postmaster@yourdomain.com' > ~alias/.qmail-mailer-daemon

and don’t forget to

chmod 644 ~alias/.qmail-*

UPDATE :
Ok I’m just checked the contents of folder ls -a /var/qmail/alias
And in .qmail-root the adress email was bad (it began with a &)

Pascal

Ok a last thing for me :

the directory /var/qmail/alias is not in the ‘root Global path’

I mean if I’m doing : cd ~alias it says folder don’t found (on my old box it doesn’t) for me it could be a pbm

Pascal

[quote:tim]
I just typed the command logwatch a few miniutes ago and low and behold I got the report

[quote]

Yep but me when I launched the logwatch cmd I find some vpopmail error in the maillog :

Sep 28 13:23:59 server1 vpopmail[32758]: vchkpw-pop3: system user not found pascal.foubert:193.248.26.234

And I didn’t receive any logwatch report

I tried :
Logwatch
Logwatch --mailto root
Logwatch --mailto my_email_adress

erffffff

Not sure my box is well installed ??!!??

Pascal

few things.

1. The ‘&’ before the email address is actually necessary pascal.

2. Your /var/qmail/alias directory should look like this:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 alias    nofiles        17 Sep 11 17:27 .qmail-mailer-daemon -> .qmail-postmaster
-rw-r--r--    1 alias    nofiles        21 Sep  1 03:02 .qmail-postmaster
lrwxrwxrwx    1 alias    nofiles        17 Sep 11 17:27 .qmail-root -> .qmail-postmaster

All you have to update is .qmail-postmaster if you leave the default setup.

1. Regarding cd ~alias, what is the alias user’s homedir in /etc/passwd?

Chris

Ok I’ll change it (but on the other server there is no &)

1. Your /var/qmail/alias directory should look like this:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 alias    nofiles        17 Sep 11 17:27 .qmail-mailer-daemon -> .qmail-postmaster
-rw-r--r--    1 alias    nofiles        21 Sep  1 03:02 .qmail-postmaster
lrwxrwxrwx    1 alias    nofiles        17 Sep 11 17:27 .qmail-root -> .qmail-postmaster

All you have to update is .qmail-postmaster if you leave the default setup.

It looks like this

1. Regarding cd ~alias, what is the alias user’s homedir in /etc/passwd?

I have no user Alias

Thanks Chris
Pascal

I have no user Alias

This is a problem Pascal. do any qmail users exist?

grep qmail /etc/passwd

also:

grep nofiles /etc/group
grep qmail /etc/group

Chris

[QUOTE=squalito][quote:tim]
I just typed the command logwatch a few miniutes ago and low and behold I got the report

Yep but me when I launched the logwatch cmd I find some vpopmail error in the maillog :

Sep 28 13:23:59 server1 vpopmail[32758]: vchkpw-pop3: system user not found pascal.foubert:193.248.26.234

And I didn’t receive any logwatch report

I tried :
Logwatch
Logwatch --mailto root
Logwatch --mailto my_email_adress

erffffff

Not sure my box is well installed ??!!??

Pascal

I changed the /var/qmail/alias/.qmail-root and added a & before my nodeworx email

But I always have error in /var/log/maillog

[root@server1 root]# tail /var/log/maillog
Sep 28 11:04:29 server1 vpopmail[10780]: vchkpw-pop3: password fail (pass: ‘fjt8wn1lkjxxxx’) pascal.foubert@carat-conseil.com:193.250.229.233
Sep 28 11:19:45 server1 vpopmail[17236]: vchkpw-pop3: system user not found pascal.foubert:193.250.229.233
Sep 28 11:34:46 server1 vpopmail[23090]: vchkpw-pop3: system user not found pascal.foubert:193.250.229.233
Sep 28 11:49:56 server1 vpopmail[29015]: vchkpw-pop3: system user not found pascal.foubert:193.250.229.233
Sep 28 12:05:05 server1 vpopmail[2448]: vchkpw-pop3: system user not found pascal.foubert:193.250.229.233
Sep 28 12:10:46 server1 vpopmail[4705]: vchkpw-pop3: system user not found pascal.foubert:193.250.229.233
Sep 28 12:20:07 server1 vpopmail[8485]: vchkpw-pop3: system user not found pascal.foubert:193.250.229.233
Sep 28 12:35:04 server1 vpopmail[14252]: vchkpw-pop3: system user not found pascal.foubert:193.250.229.233
Sep 28 12:43:21 server1 vpopmail[17438]: vchkpw-pop3: system user not found pascal.foubert:193.250.229.233

Pascal

no result for the 3 cmds

Pascal, the qmail install for your box apparnelty wasn’t applied correctly and for most packages this wouldn’t be a problem but qmail has very specific UID and GID requirements and isn’t trivial to install after-the-fact if these UIDs (102 -> 107) and GIDs (102 -> 103) are used, which I’m assuming they are.

I’d have Sago do a reinstall of your server so that you get qmail on there correctly, hopefully they will waive the re-install fee. I can try to do this after-the-fact but it’s a pain-in-the-butt enough process that I’d have to charge you for the time.

Chris

Pascal, the qmail install for your box apparnelty wasn’t applied correctly and for most packages this wouldn’t be a problem but qmail has very specific UID and GID requirements and isn’t trivial to install after-the-fact if these UIDs (102 -> 107) and GIDs (102 -> 103) are used, which I’m assuming they are.

Erfff, how it is possible ? who install QMAIL ? iworx-cp or sago ?

I’d have Sago do a reinstall of your server so that you get qmail on there correctly, hopefully they will waive the re-install fee

Cool, but it’s a shame as I have server running on it (ircd hub), but OK cool.

I can try to do this after-the-fact

Not sure to understand well, what do you want to try to do ?

but it’s a pain-in-the-butt enough process that I’d have to charge you for the time

Heu, why not but to do what ?

I have already paid fees for my boxe setup, and if there is a pbm is not my fault. For me sago has to do the job.

Now if there is no other solution, I am ok to pay you of course

Will I lost all my data ?

erffff :
Pascal

Erfff, how it is possible ? who install QMAIL ? iworx-cp or sago ?

Sago does the install, they obviously use our RPMs but something obviously went awry during the install. Open a ticket with them and I’ll be happy to ask that they reinstall without charge given the issue.

Not sure to understand well, what do you want to try to do ?

I can move around the UID/GID pairs and re-chown other packages that are using up the UID/GIDs designated for qmail. It’s not fun, but it can be done if you have a ton of stuff of your server you don’t want to reinstall.

I have already paid fees for my boxe setup, and if there is a pbm is not my fault. For me sago has to do the job.

The problem is definitely NOT your fault. Something went awry during the install process it seems.

Chris

Ok chris, I understand well now.

The point is that it seems to have some others pbm on it server (At the beginning I can’t do a sftp between my 2 boxes !!!)
As MCPAN pbm for example, and pbm in the Sysconfig/eth0-range0

So it should be the best solution to Reinstall from scrash, but as you said, I have done a lot of jobs so everything will be lost !!!

Ok to do a new time the job, but I took my week to do it (I have my own society and I didn’t work this week to realise the migration), and I need sago reinstall it urgently. I can’t wait for 3 days more. At the end of the week All the migration from my old box to the new one should be done.

Thanks for your help, one time again…

Ok do I have to open a ticket to sago or will you contact them to give them an explication

Pascal

Open a ticket and give me the #. I’ll refer to your ticket when I talk to them and hopefully they will waive the fees.

Chris

Call ID: 31106

Thanks a ton Chris

(ps: I emailed you a copy)

Chris,

How do I get the logwatch mails back. As it is now I have to execute the command

#logwatch

if I want the report. I’d imagine I do a chron but I don’t know how to do that outside of SiteWorx.

try this:

cd /etc/cron.daily
perl 00-logwatch

Let me know if there are any errors or if you do/don’t get an e-mail.

Chris

He tim, me I had the cron but not qmail, you you have a qmail but not cron, with us two one will succeed in having a logwatch :wink:
(a desapointed joke)