Changing Kernel

My box is running Interworx and Kernel 2.6.9-175.EL.iworxsmp. I need to install software on my box (vmware) that requires compiling against kernel sources… I don’t seem to be able to find a source package for this particular kernel.

I wanted to know 1) if a source package for this kernel was available and 2) can I use a different kernel, e.g. 2.6.9-67.0.4.EL?

I’m guessing that the 175 version # is preventing yum from actually updating the kernel and forcing the OS to use an Interworx specific kernel… is that correct?

Thanks,
Cliff.

Hi Cliff,

You can safely install the new kernel package from CentOS to replace the .iworxsmp package. You’re correct about the 175 preventing the kernel from auto installing. Therefore you must download the new kernel rpm from CentOS, and install them with the command

rpm -ivh --force kernel-*.rpm

You just have to make sure you grab the right kernel rpm package for your server. Type uname -a on your machine, and look for the one that matches the architecture and type, etc.

If you’re not sure which kernel rpms you need to install for your server feel free to open a support ticket and we’ll give you a hand.

Paul