Migration...

Good morning.

I submitted a support ticket at the beginning of the week, but due to no responses it was automatically closed. Therefore, I thought I’d post here to see if I could arrange for some support at your convenience.

We have constructed a new server to move our Interworx Hosting to, and need to make this as smooth a transition as possible. The existing unit is running on CentOS 4.8, has two IPs (One NIC, one Virtual NIC) and hosts all of it’s own DNS. The main IP is shared, and the secondary is dedicated to a specific domain with an SSL Cert. The new unit is running CentOS 5.4 and has 3 physical NICs. We are planning on keeping the existing IPs once the transfer is completed.

My question(s) is/are : What is the best methodology for migrating the hosted domains so that there is absolutely minimal interruption. From my understanding, I also need a temporary InterWorx license to install on the new unit until the transfer is completed. I’ve seen a number of postings in the forums about doing this, but was wondering if there were a “step-by-step” guide for performing this kind of migration?

Thank you for any help you could render in performing this migration.

Take care!

Phil Malmstrom
philm@diamondcomputer.com

The procedure goes a little something like this:

1. Install new server, set up with demo license.
  2. Do Mass Transfer using the new machine’s NodeWorx, SiteWorx > Import > Mass Transfer.
  3. Change system IP on new machine and bring over license key.
  4. Shut down old machine.