What can I upgrade?

Hi,

Just sign up to a Sago Network server and I’m using Interworx as my control panel.

I want to know if I can upgrade everything in the server without breaking
the control panel or do I have to leave out some of the software like apache
etc. Do you have any documentation?

What can I touch and what I can’t? :confused:

Thank you!

do a “rpm -qa | grep iworx” and those are the packages that we generally support and that you should either not touch, or upgrade with care. If you have packages that you want to alter (apache, php etc) and recompile I suggest using our SRPMS, which are available here:

http://updates.interworx.info/iworx/SRPMS/

Chris

Thanks, very helpful :slight_smile:

Do you know when you will support PHP 5? Its not a big deal am just wondering.

Also in the future will PHP and other serives be upgradable through the CP instead of having to d it in SSH? I know other CP’s support this is why I am asking.

NodeWorx uses a GUI for YUM to keep your RPM’s up to date (if you have auto-update turned on). Some come from their mirrors of the main OS download sote (CentOS, Fedora, etc.) others come from the site they have set up for the RPM’s that Chris mentioned.

Tim

We have boxes up now that support php5 and installing php5 in general won’t affect iworx-cp at all. iworx-cp uses its own version of php for just this purpose :). If you’d like I can make the php5 RPMs available and write a quick howto.

Chris

For the PHP5 I thought there was to upgrade MySQL too ?

Pascal

Not necessarily. You can build php5 against many different MySQL versions which is why I gave the link to the SRPMS (source) directory.

Chris

Been trying to get PHP5 to work, but if i tell it to load PHP5 module it doesnt do anything. Id find that howto helpful if you have a link to it.
Thanks.

Hello,

Originally Posted by IWorx-Chris
We have boxes up now that support php5 and installing php5 in general won’t affect iworx-cp at all. iworx-cp uses its own version of php for just this purpose . If you’d like I can make the php5 RPMs available and write a quick howto.

Chris

Every Howto are always usefull :slight_smile:

Is there an easy way to have both php4 and php5 and let the interworx-cp’ client choose which version he will use ?

Pascal

Interworx has its own copy of PHP4 running, if you upgrade to php5 it will be for the sites on the server only as I am figuring out. My problem is its loading php4 somewhere I cannot find and when i tell it to load php5 it does not act nice and nothing php loads

That’s gonna happen with a lot of PHP scripts. Even the newest 4.x versions are causing problems with existig scripts since they are adding php5 functionality. Is it really “nothing” that works? Have you tried a variety of things to make sure it isn’t just certain things?

It wasnt anything broken by PHP5, it was just i had overlooked a config file (php.conf in conf.d folder) that was loading PHP4 module and i was also loading PHP5 module creating a conflict in handler so it wouldnt even begin to process the php. One way Ive found to go around that is renaming a few things and adding a handler for *.php4 to use PHP4 as the processor and PHP5 for standard PHP files. I have yet to actually test it but if anyone wants to know if it works i can definately give it a try.

glad you found your problem :slight_smile:

I’d like to know!

So you have both PHP4 and PHP5 running at the same time? I think I may want to try that, but in the opposite way you did. “.php” would run the PHP4 file and “.php5” would run new stuff. That way I could slowly migrate over to PHP5.

Its very tricky and still slightly unstable, once I get it actually perfectly stable and running both of the newest versions i can get you the info on how to do it.

Just put up a php5/mysql4.1 howto:

http://interworx.info/forums/showthread.php?p=2488#post2488

Chris