Document Root

How do I change a document root like in cpanel?

Hi mikei

Please see this post

You may want to look through the forms for more tips

Many thanks

John

http://forums.interworx.com/showpost.php?p=25090

So I guess the correct answer is, you can’t.

Hi mikei

Sorry, your not clear or I’m not understanding sorry

You can create any subdomain root path you want, and you can delete or change it, but changing it may mean you have to edit the vhost record.

Many thanks

John

Sorry I was not clear. A user relies on a panel so they don’t have to make changes to config files. Saying that the software supports changing the document root but you have to edit a config files IMHO is not a supported feature.

With cpanel it’s two clicks with no chance of screwing up other domains. Which is why I posted a picture.

Hi mikei

Many thanks, and in that case, you can create subdomain doc root easily, 2 clicks of a mouse, and to change, just add a new subdomain doc root and delete the old one.

It may also allow a subdomain doc root change edit, but I’m not working and would need to test first to be 100% sure, or you can test as can any IW user

I hope that now explains more and interworx is not like cpanel in many respects, such as been able to install at will any program you want.

Many thanks

John

OK still very confused on how IW handles domains, subdomains, secondary domains. I must be dense but in cpanel it made sense to me.

I imported a cpanel that had subdomains, IW created them as “secondary” domains. Some of the cpanel subdomains work (some don’t) but I can’t access them.

1. Where is the mapping from secondary domains to file system (like in my very first post above)
  2. If I create a IW secondary domain (in IW), it creates a folder with sub.domain.com but I cannot access that folder with file manager
  3. " ", but I cannot install software with softaculous

What am I missing?

What’s best practice - create new accounts for every sub.domain.com or create a domain.com with secondary… I haven’t even touched what IW calls “subdomains” yet

Hi Mikei

I’m sorry, your confusing me now sorry.

Secondary domains - only exist in DNS (look at your DNS for main siteworx domain), however, you can add a Subdomain to a secondary domain etc… which is shown in HTML folder - please remember a secondary domain uses the same files as master in HTML

SubDomain - Creates an actual folder which can be referenced (/home/iworxeig/iworx8.domain.co.uk/html/subdomain) or if setup on secondary domain (/home/iworxeig/secondary.url/html/secsd) but folders are seen in HTML

I hope that helps a little and sorry of I still do not understand your post

Many thanks

John

Let me try to explain this way…

I had cpanel subdomains, those subdomains were pointed to directories in my cpanel

In the example in my first post my domain crm.domain.com was created and it points to /public_html/vtigerCRM. I used softaculous (hereafter referred to as SL) to install vtiger and told it to install in the /vtigerCRM directory.

Perfect - crm.doman.com routes to /vtigerCRM nice and neatly, easy to do, I’m up and running.

How would I do that in IW? If I create crm.doman.com as a secondary domain, it creates crm.domain.com ABOVE the html directory so I can’t access it with file manager. Furthermore I can’t use SL to install vtiger because I can’t get to crm.domain.com/html from my site manager (again because it’s above the html folder)

To make matters worse I can’t even edit the subdomains imported from cpanel, again because they are ABOVE the html folder.

Hi mikei

I would think you create crm as a subdomain, which creates the crm folder in HTML folder, using SL, install into this directory. Same if you create secondary domain with subdomain, which would give you crm but under secondary domain reference, but crm again shown in HTML folder. Obviously, you cannot have 2 folders called the same and if using SL, you would need to select which domain to use in the instance above, so the references are setup for you.

If I have time, I’ll try do some snapshots if it helps

Many thanks

John

With that in mind how do I clean up this mess? I’ve got 5 subdomains that IW created as secondary domains, and now my server is live.

IW should really provide an option to create these as subdomains vs secondary when you import - it’s quite difficult to manage.

Hi Mikei

I understand what your saying, but in reality, there are too many variations and they will have good reasons for the way it is imported.

I hope you don’t mind, but I’m struggling to understand your post in full, in terms of understanding your setup on this domain in my mind, so I will have to have a little think about it. I am inclined to think that the files your trying to see are shown in the HTML folder, as I cannot see how they attained a higher folder position, but if you check /home folder from SSH, you should see your domain listed and the files are there, so I would be surprised if there were any higher up then HTML.

I could be wrong thouh, so I apologise in advance.

Lastly, please see pics of SL install onto a secondary-subdomain, using my first pics url as I did not delete them, and also I appreciate the SL installed a different program but it is a crm, and we do not have a full licence for SL on this test server sorry.

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

Hi mikei

Sorry, could I ask if have shown subdomain your looking for under the correct secondary domain.

To check, login to siteworx, hosting features, secondary, change managing domain to one your looking for subdomain on, then goto subdomain.

It’s just a thought though, thinking that IW may have imported into secondary, subdomain.

I could be wrong though, so I apologise in advance

Many thanks

John

My account root is shown below as seen from an SFTP connection (cyberduck):

You’ll see that IW created folders for each secondary domain, which are ABOVE the domain (last listing)

so for each account IW is creating:

[my account name]
[INDENT]\domain.com[/INDENT]
[INDENT] \html[/INDENT]
[INDENT] \html[files]
\sub1.domain.com[INDENT]\html[/INDENT]
[INDENT]\html[files][/INDENT]
\sub2.domain.com[INDENT]\html[/INDENT]
[INDENT]\html[files][/INDENT]

SO you can’t look at sub1.domain.com files with file manager because they are above \domain.com\html nor can you install SL to \sub1.domain.com because SL only allows you to install to a directory under \domain.com

[INDENT]
[/INDENT]

[/INDENT]

[QUOTE=d2d4j;26153]Hi mikei

Sorry, could I ask if have shown subdomain your looking for under the correct secondary domain.

To check, login to siteworx, hosting features, secondary, change managing domain to one your looking for subdomain on, then goto subdomain.

It’s just a thought though, thinking that IW may have imported into secondary, subdomain.

I could be wrong though, so I apologise in advance

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

IW creates secondary not subdomains with cpanel imports, so my subdomains are completely blank. I can’t create a subdomain with the same name as a secondary domain and I don’t dare delete a secondary domain entry on a live site.

I’ve asked IW support for help because this is really frustrating.

Hi mikei

Many thanks, I’m sure they have it resolved quickly and sorry if I don’t fully understand.

Many thanks

John

There’s a very simple answer to this.

Upper right corner there is [Change Domain] button when you click it, it shows the other secondary domains and allows you to change the SiteWorx to work on that domain.

-Boom, done.

Self reported by IW… “it’s not very intuitive”

Thanks to all that chimed in… it took 4 days, but now I’m running swimmingly :slight_smile:

Hi mikei

I’m so glad it’s working now and your good to go.

Do you mean manage domain, as in my pictures.

Many thanks

John

Because you are not using the ‘standard’ skin there must be differences, but I’m guessing it’s the same function. In the standard skin it’s called “Manage Domain”

Hi mikei

Yes, it’s the same function and sorry, I was not clear about manage domain, perhaps it might explain why I was having difficulties understanding your issue sorry.

Glad your good to go now and have learned/shared something new on forums for us all

Many thanks

John