Making the Leap to Iworx

Hello everyone,

I’m new here and figured this would be the place to post. I’ve been using cPanel since early 2004 and have been somewhat attached to it. Then I heard about Interworx and gave the demo on the site a try and found it pretty sweet. I’m planning on switching servers sometime this summer, and thought it would be the perfect time to reevaluate my current server software and decide what to scrap and what to try out. cPanel development is pretty stagnant, and I’m tired of things breaking on practically every update and not being able to use Apache2 (and yes, I know CP11 is “coming soon”… it has been for quite awhile :stuck_out_tongue: ). Interworx seems like a better choice based on what I’ve tried so far, and the community here seems great.

I just have a couple of quick questions that would help me decide for sure:

1. Does CSF firewall work with Interworx? Can it be integrated into Iworx like it can with cpanel?

2. Would it be possible to order a leased license to try it out on my server for awhile, then if I like it could I order a one-time license? I know there’s a demo available, but my server is currently running cpanel and they would probably conflict with each other, wouldn’t they? Do I have another option to give Interworx a try?

3. I read in the FAQ that Interworx https://tradevenue.se
    uses PHP4, and PHP5 breaks most of the scripts installed with it. I also read somewhere that Iworx runs its own versions of Apache and PHP, so I could install PHP5 and use that for my account… is that true?

I think that’s all. Thanks for any info you guys can give! :slight_smile:

Hi resler

Welcome to IW forums

At least 1 user is using CSF in interworx that I know off so perhaps nico would post their experiences (interworx uses APF)

Yes, anyone could rent a leased IW licence or you could ask IW for an extend to their demo licence (it is subject to certain terms and conditions as expected)

I think the php version you are referring too is the system php - and would appear to be an old FAQ

IW uses its own php to that of system php and siteworx php

So you could update the system php to php7.4 from the distro default php installed (centos 6 installs php 5.6 - centos 7 installs php 5.4) and I posted how to do this (the system php installed by distro is not installed by IW)

For siteworx php versions, you could use any php version easily by allowing different php versions and setting it to your chosen php - the siteworx user could change php used in the same manor (php versions are 5.4 5.5 5.6 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 and 7.4rc currently)

If using centos 7, you would have apache2 http2

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

Hi

Sorry missed one of your points

You would not be able to run both CPanel and interworx on the same server unless you use vps

Many thanks

John

> 1. Does CSF firewall work with Interworx? Can it be integrated into Iworx like it can with cpanel?

We have worked with InterWorx themselves and released full integration of CSF with InterWorx, which replaces APF completely. We have also released beta support for CXS in InterWorx as well.

Jonathan (ConfigServer)

Hi chirpy

Many thanks for posting

I was wondering how nico changed from APF to CSF

Could you post any more details

Many thanks

John

CSF has its own link within the NodeWorx menu that displays our standard UI. The addon intercepts the integrated Firewall link in NodeWorx to indicate that the server is now using csf. We install a stub script to replace the integrated firewall script so that any inbuilt actions are redirected to csf (e.g. for InterWorx support access). Everything else is as you would expect from csf:
https://configserver.com/csf.html

We’ve added regex patterns to trap login failures for the InterWorx services (mail, web, nodeworx, siteworx, ftp, etc). csf is preconfigured for the InterWorx environment on installation, e.g. correct port configuration.

Hi chirpy

Many thanks for the link

I see it?s free so I may give it a try as it appears we would not need BFD

Your csx looks interesting. When is it due out of beta and would Maldet need stopping

Many thanks

John

You would not need BFD with csf installed.

We have several customers running cxs on InterWorx without issues, so we’re hoping to bring it out of beta in the next few weeks. It would replace Maldet.

Hi @chirpy @d2d4j @Ressler
Sorry for late reply, just been busy creating servers and migrating away from cPanel, yes CSF is easy to install and to replace the APF, in fact CSF handles all this, but the ‘default’ config needs to have somethings added. To install you could as root#

yum install -y perl-LWP-Protocol-https perl-Sys-Syslog perl-libwww-perl.noarch perl-LWP-Protocol-https.noarch perl-GDGraph

cd /usr/src
rm -fv csf.tgz
wget https://download.configserver.com/csf.tgz
tar -xzf csf.tgz
cd csf
sh install.sh
perl /usr/local/csf/bin/csftest.pl

Enable Check for IPs in RBLs and Server Security with email to your email address.

CSF on InterWorx

1. Enable csf in InterWorx > NodeWorx > Plugins > CSF
  2. See the InterWorx section in /etc/csf/readme.txt

Depending on the PHP versions and other programs you need to add some extra rules…

Razor and Pyzor folders in /tmp need to be excluded from warning email.

Add:

csf.fignore, Directory Watching

/tmp/.pyzor
/tmp/.razor

csf.pignore, Process watching

exe:/usr/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
exe:/usr/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
exe:/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
exe:/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/pop3-login
exe:/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd

Added by Nico - Interworx

exe:/usr/bin/perl
exe:/usr/sbin/rpcbind
exe:/opt/remi/php72/root/usr/sbin/php-fpm
exe:/opt/remi/php73/root/usr/sbin/php-fpm
exe:/opt/iworx/iworxphp72/root/usr/sbin/php-fpm
cmd:/bin/sh /usr/bin/mysqld_safe --basedir=/usr

Should get you going…
Kind regards,
Nico

We’ve now officially released cxs for InterWorx.

Ya it is better to go for new one. And the experience is also better compared to CPanel.

i need answer Does CSF firewall work with Interworx? Can it be integrated into Iworx like it can with cpanel?

Yes and Yes. When installing csf it will integrate with Interworx and is available from the Nodeworx menu.

Hi dadi01

I can also confirm CSF works lovely in interworx and the additional features of chirpy makes it lovely

You could also install chirpy CXS to additional protection.

We have installed CSF and cxs

Nico also uses chirpy CSF and posted a good how to to exclude certain folders such as php-fpm

Kudos to chirpy

Many thanks

John