Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Webmail (rouncube) problem - Connection to storage server failed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Webmail (rouncube) problem - Connection to storage server failed.

Hi everybody.

Got a webmail (roundcube) problem.
    After webmail is opened some time then every computer/webmail user get's this message: Connection to storage server failed. If i go into interworx panel > mail > mda and restart MDA server then it's working again 1-2 hours and got same problem again. IMAP clients (thunderbird, outlook and others) got no problems at all.

Anybody got similar problem or have ideas how to solve it?

Hi vmk

I think more detail is needed to find out whatís happening

What do the logs show - any errors

How many email clients are using the service and what is the average mailbox size and the largest mailbox size in use

Many thanks

John

Comment

Originally posted by d2d4j View Post
      Hi vmk

I think more detail is needed to find out whatís happening

What do the logs show - any errors

How many email clients are using the service and what is the average mailbox size and the largest mailbox size in use

Many thanks

John
      Hi John,

I looked logs but no errors or information there...
      This is unreal that mailbox size can start this problem because when it starts then it's server wide problem (nobody can't login or use webmail). Anyway largest mailbox 8gb and others around 3-4gb.

Also changed max imap connections 35 to 150 and it seems to make thing better but not sure because workday was ending. Is it possible that dovecot is taking roundcube's 127.0.0.1:993 connection as public ip connection?

Comment

Hi vmk

Many thanks and glad you resolved issue

I would not consider dovecot is using localhost as external ip

I was trying to get a little more details to understand better your server usage. I was not stating that was the cause of your issue sorry

If it appears to be working now, on 150 imap connections then that most likely was the cause but our servers are set much higher then 150 due to our usage.

Many thanks

John

Comment

Hi vmk

Many thanks and glad you resolved issue

I would not consider dovecot is using localhost as external ip

I was trying to get a little more details to understand better your server usage. I was not stating that was the cause of your issue sorry

If it appears to be working now, on 150 imap connections then that most likely was the cause but our servers are set much higher then 150 due to our usage.

Many thanks

John
          At the moment it's 500 and no problems but this is not normalt that max imap connections per one IP is 500.
          Seems like iw is really taking 127.0.0.1 as external connection...

Comment

Hi vmk

Many thanks

Sorry I will need to check that setting as I thought it was max connection allowed to imap service and not per IP address

I will check on one of our services when back later today

Many thanks

John

Comment

Hi vmk

I checked on one of our servers and your correct

Set max connection per IP address

However, this is unclear which per IP address

As this is only imap with issue, I think it is using the server FQDN domain IP address which inturn would use localhost

So I do not think imap is detecting the connection IP address used by client and hence it is stopping more connotations

I could be wrong though sorry

Many thanks

John

Comment

Hi vmk

I checked on one of our servers and your correct

Set max connection per IP address

However, this is unclear which per IP address

As this is only imap with issue, I think it is using the server FQDN domain IP address which inturn would use localhost

So I do not think imap is detecting the connection IP address used by client and hence it is stopping more connotations

I could be wrong though sorry

Many thanks

John
                Hi,
                For me it seem's like this is max IMAP connections not max per IP...

Comment

Raised this max imap connections per user ip to 2600...now two day's later problem is back, only solution was MDA server (dovecot) restart.
                  Seems like server is not able to end connections or something.

This is huge problem...

Comment

Hi vmk

Hmm if dovecot not closing connections is you memory been depleted

I would open a support ticket with your licence provider and let them have a look

Many thanks

John

Comment

Got IW support answer but still no solution, starting to hate this company and 'product a bit...
                      IW support is talking bs like 1.3gb mailbox is extremely large mailbox...are we back in 1998?

Got few cpanel and plesk servers and seems it's not possible to switch those to iw panel...and this small server what is iw now need's also move to some different panel because things are not working and support is incompetent.
                      Wondering now how you all can use this panel, only webserver?

Comment

Hi vmk

Iím sorry to hear your experience

Who were you communicating with IW support

Cpanel and plesk can be imported but I do know the versions keep changing, so IW keeps updating the importer

I do not know your server or itís resources so cannot comment but there are a lot of users who are very happy with IW-CP and we do not have same issue with dovecote so I cannot check

Many thanks

John

Comment

About server and ressources: it's vps server with Xeon E5-2630 V4 (8 virtual cores), 30gb ram and SSD disc's...even higher moments got 20gb free ram, cpu utilization is below 20% and load below 2.00 (mostly load is around 0.60 - 0.80). There is no ressource problem, it is software configuration problem. Server is installed few weeks ago, centos 7.7.1908.

If problem is active then only solution is dovecot restart. Today restarted dovecot every 1-2 hours because this was only way to keep things running without interruption.
                          Yes i can create cron job to restart dovecot every hour but this is not a solution...

BTW i looked dovecot default config locations and seems like these files are default and not configured (/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf and /etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf). At moment in 10-master.conf everything is outcommented. Example: #default_process_limit = 150 or #default_client_limit = 1500.

Can't find information but is there some IW's own mysthical location for configuration files?

Last edited by vmk; 01-13-2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Hi VMK

I was thinking last night, and below may or may not help but use at your own risk. Please be aware if ou change any IWorx files you may have to pay to have them corrected by IW and any changes made to any files could have an impact on services

if you edit 10-master.conf and change the following section to suit your needs

service imap {
                            # Most of the memory goes to mmap()ing files. You may need to increase this
                            # limit if you have huge mailboxes.
                            vsz_limit = set figure here (must be greater then 256MB)

# Max. number of IMAP processes (connections)
                            process_limit = set figure here
                            }

save and restart dovecot

I have not tested the above so do not know if it would help your issue

Also, what protection are you running to stop ddos on mail server side...

If none, i would suggest you look at chirpy CSF drop in module and set failed logins accordingly to your needs... as I suspect you maybe been hit hard by ddos of mail services

https://configserver.com/csf.html

Again, any advice above is at your own risk, but we use chirpy CSF and CSX modules without issues but you do need to read and understand the modules

Many thanks

John

Comment

Finally problem is solved with iworx support help.

Part from last message:
                              I dug through some logs and found the following in the dovecot log around the time that you specified:

Jan 14 10:17:20 master: Warning: service(imap-login): process_limit (100) reached, client connections are being dropped
                              Jan 14 10:17:30 master: Warning: service(imap-login): process_limit (100) reached, client connections are being dropped

I sat down with the devs and we did some troubleshooting as to the best way to update/configure that setting and they felt the next step is creating a custom conf file called /etc/dovecot/conf.d/09-iworx-custom-default-process-limit.conf and configure the process_limit setting there (Creating the custom conf file will keep it from being altered or blown away upon any updates).

I'm also submitting a feature request to expose this setting in the GUI.

I really hope this setting is in GUI soon...

Comment

Working...
                              X