Windows Explorer FTP

I’ve been having some difficulty figuring out a way to get the Windows XP Explorer FTP to work with InterWorx. It seems like Explorer connects to the server fine, but won’t accept the logon information. I’ve been telling people just to download a decent FTP client, but for the sake of not having to do this on a regular basis, I was curious if I might just be overlooking something.

Does the login info have any @ : or other url-ish chars in it? That may throw IE off.

Chris

Yep, all our FTP usernames have an @ in them…

ahh, haha of course :). That is most likely the problem. Not sure if there’s a simple way around this using IE. You may try escaping the @ as %40

Chris

Works using %40 with the full URL - Chris you’re the smartest man alive.

I think you can use + instead of @ also, not sure though.

The %40 works great for people if they know about that, but the vast majority of them do not… is there a way to substitute that character in the username itself? I tried the ‘+’ as was previously suggested, but this does not work.

If there is currently no way to use a different character, I’d love to see a way in the future… Also, instead of using the full domain name as the suffix, could we just use the abbreviated name that interworx uses in the /home/ directory? Using the whole ‘username@www.xxx.com’ just screams ‘CHEAP SHARED HOSTING AHEAD’.

Thanks,
Jeremy

[quote=docpeyer;10261]The %40 works great for people if they know about that, but the vast majority of them do not… is there a way to substitute that character in the username itself? I tried the ‘+’ as was previously suggested, but this does not work.

If there is currently no way to use a different character, I’d love to see a way in the future… Also, instead of using the full domain name as the suffix, could we just use the abbreviated name that interworx uses in the /home/ directory? Using the whole ‘username@www.xxx.com’ just screams ‘CHEAP SHARED HOSTING AHEAD’.

Thanks,
Jeremy[/quote]

We need to allow for multiple FTP users per account. The reason we use this format is to keep from duplicating usernames as well as keep things organized in the database. Oh, and we don’t use the www, just ftp@mydomain.com

I’m not sure about the %40 problem – we can probably get that added to the online help if it isn’t there already but I’m not sure what else to do about it.

With the exception of people using Windows Explorer or a web browser as FTP, no one else seems to be having a problem. The existance of many free FTP programs makes one wonder why anyone does that anymore. Just have your users download Filezilla or something similar.

Does anyone have a better suggestion?

The only way you can let them login using the 8 character unique name that their /home/<name> folder is called is by enabling shell access on their account… But you probably don’t want to do that :wink:

Yes Fr3d, I was thinking about that too. But as you said that’s not advised. It’s a way of working around InterWorx instead of making InterWorx work for you.

Anyone that uses IE for FTP or HTTP… well… i think ill stop there :stuck_out_tongue:

Firefox does this better and there is also an extension for a real FTP type client. Instead of telling your clients the work around, tell them a better way to do it.

Well put :slight_smile:

It’s unbelieveable the strides I’ve taken to get clients not to use IE for their ftp client, even setting up pre-populated FileZilla apps (with all ftp addresses/un/pw for 20+ ftp accounts) and deploying it on machines, but once they need to give account info/access to someone outside of the organization, everything goes straight to hell. That’s where my concern lies, because then I get panicked calls from all over the US at any given time because the ‘@’ symbol won’t work in the username on their account in IE. If I could coerce everybody into using a sensible app for ftp, I would, but you know how 95% of users are.

Jeremy

LOL :smiley:

funky text to get past the minimum character limit

Not sure what to tell you Jeremy, but even if we were able to change this (I imagin it’s possible but probably not easy, one if the devs may wish to chime in here) but then we’d confuse our existing user base to suit a minority if clients. I am putting in a bug report asking for the online help for that page specify the %40 instead of the online help for that page for now.

Fr3d’s option for enableing FTP for the master siteworx user (it’s easiest to use the usermod command) is an option for you but it’s not recommended because you’d be limited to one FTP account for that account.

You’re not limited are you? It just means you are able to login as that user as it has a valid shell… Normal accounts should still work, shouldn’t they?

That’s correct, Fr3d. If you enabled the shell user for a SiteWorx account, you could still have the ability to use “regular” FTP accounts (ftp_user@domain.com), as well as the one “username” FTP account.

I think what Tim meant was that you’d only be able to get one “username” (no @domain.com) FTP user per account.

I think I made a post on this before for the shell account FTP before. There was a way that you could allow the SFTP using the shell account without giving SSH shell access.

Edit:

Found it (http://interworx.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5578&postcount=42)

I agree completely, but I figured out a way that works on RH9 to allow only SFTP access with out regular shell access. Just set the user shell from /sbin/nologin to /usr/libexec/openssh/sftp-server for the user you want to give SFTP access to.

I only tested this on RH9, so not sure if it works for other distros.

Edit 2:

Just did a locate for sftp-server on my CentOS box and the file is in the same place and allows SFTP access. If you try to login to shell via SSH it will act like it logs in, but then will disconnect.

Yes, sorry for any confusion, I meant that IF we were to change things to just use the shell user account as you suggested in your first post we would be limited to one FTP user.