No announcement yet.

InterWorx Clustering on Raspberry Pis!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• InterWorx Clustering on Raspberry Pis!

We're proud to announce the results of a fun project we've been working on here -- getting InterWorx to run and cluster on a pair of Raspberry Pis!

You can see the live results by going to http://pi.interworx.com, where you can learn more about what we did, how we did it, and how to try it for yourself!

Feel free to discuss or ask questions about the project here :)

This is some seriously cool stuff. Who worked on this, and why is he so handsome?
    Matt Parmelee
    Interworx Developer
    http://www.interworx.com/

Comment

Hi

I've read this with great interest, thank you.

Please could I ask the following in cluster mode

How fast does the MySQL work

How fast does the email work

Are there any slowness on hosting

What is the largest sd card it can handle

How long do you expect a sd card to last in use

Is it easy to swap out a pi if needed

How does pi cluster stack up against a dual quad xion 32 gb ram sas raid multi gb nic

What is the actual power consumption of pi or setup under load

Can the cluster be integrated into a mixed cluster of both pi and standard server hardware (I know your going to say no, but if the mail and MySQL could be seperated but hosting using standard server hardware it might be beneficial as mail servers don't require much CPU time)

Is there any backup availability

These are just my initial thoughts but I am tired so sorry if some or all are obvious

Many thanks

John

Comment

Originally posted by d2d4j View Post
        How fast does the MySQL work
        Not very :)
        How fast does the email work
        Not very :)
        Are there any slowness on hosting
        Yup.
        What is the largest sd card it can handle
        Raspberry Pi says 32GB cards have been tested. That's not an upper limit, they just don't seem to have tested anything larger.
        How long do you expect a sd card to last in use
        No idea. It would depend heavily on your use case, and the quality of the card. Heavy write loads will cause more failures than heavy read.
        Is it easy to swap out a pi if needed
        Actually, yes. As long as you get the same hardware, just swap the SD cards and boot up.
        How does pi cluster stack up against a dual quad xion 32 gb ram sas raid multi gb nic
        It's about the same height but weighs less. :)
        What is the actual power consumption of pi or setup under load
        Very very very little. The Pi Model B pulls a maximum of 700mA at 5V, which is a maximum draw of 0.14 watts.
        Can the cluster be integrated into a mixed cluster of both pi and standard server hardware (I know your going to say no, but if the mail and MySQL could be seperated but hosting using standard server hardware it might be beneficial as mail servers don't require much CPU time)
        Technically, the restriction is on CPU architecture. So, if you find another vendor running the same ARM architecture as the Pi, then yes. Not sure I'd recommend it, though.
        Is there any backup availability
        Same as any other InterWorx box! We have our built-in backup, plus the r1Soft (Idera?) plugin should still work. That's untested, though.

Tounge-in-cheek answers aside, this has not been thoroughly benchmarked. It was, for us, a cheap way to start working through the problems in shifting to a new CPU architecture, ARM. It's fun to play with.

Tim

Comment

Which interworx license is required for the Raspbery Pi 2? Would a VPS license be OK? I would like to test with the Raspbery Pi 2, since it has a quad core CPU and 1GB RAM, it would be a good replacement for a VPS.

By the way, does interworx support the Raspbery Pi 2 B?
          Last edited by Ramon; 07-13-2015, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Hi Ramon

My personal thought would be you require a standard licence.

I say this because a VPS license is only for a VPS server.

I would though, grab a trial license for pi and see how it performs.

Would appreciate your findings of performance of you do test it

Many thanks

John

Comment

Hi John,

Yes, but since the hardware is limited, maybe they can add the Raspberry Pi to be allowed with a VPS license :)
              But I'm still figuring out if it works on the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.

Greets,

Rámon

Comment

Feels like college. I miss those days. :)
                [ JUSTIN ]
                [ OFF unit ]
                [ WEB DESIGN / DEVELOPMENT, GRAPHIC DESIGN, OTHER STUFF
                ]

Comment

Yeah, back when InterWorx 1.x just was released :)

Comment

Originally posted by IWorx-Brett View Post
                    We're proud to announce the results of a fun project we've been working on here -- getting InterWorx to run and cluster on a pair of Raspberry Pis!

You can see the live results by going to http://pi.interworx.com, where you can learn more about what we did, how we did it, and how to try it for yourself!

Feel free to discuss or ask questions about the project here :)
                    I've kept tabs on this since it was originally posted. I gave it a whirl with a pair of RPi2's without success. Now with the release of the Raspberry Pi 3 I would like to revisit this but the link posted no longer appears to work. Will it work on RPi3?

Comment

Hi Sov
                      Welcome to IW forums
                      It would appear your correct, so I'll email IW to let them know and quote this post so you have credit.
                      Please see these links, which should help, and I would think it should still work on pi3, as I understand it briefly, pi3 has bluetooth and wifi, but could be wrong sorry
                      Appreciate an update if you do try it
                      Many thanks
                      John
                      Licensecart
                      http://licensecart.com/plugin/suppor...spberry-pi/17/
                      IW
                      http://www.interworx.com/community/i...raspberry-pis/
                      http://www.interworx.com/community/5...-raspberry-pi/

Comment

Hey all,

The site is intentionally down. It was a fun internal project to test InterWorx running on ARM. The site was powered by a pi running InterWorx and it eventually developed a problem and the pi was decommissioned.

I don't know of any future plans to pick the project back up, but if you'd like to see a raspberry pi version of InterWorx again you can advocate for it at interworx.com/ideas

Comment

InterWorx Clustering on Raspberry Pis!

Edit: Only just saw the other post. My only question is would it be possible on my own to make the necessary changes to make it run on the Pi?
                          Last edited by Sov; 03-02-2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Hi sov

I think this depends upon if any changes intrude on the terms and conditions of interworx

You could try it on a pi3 and see if it works

As I said, appreciate any updates if you do try

Many thanks

John

Comment

Hi sov

I think this depends upon if any changes intrude on the terms and conditions of interworx

You could try it on a pi3 and see if it works

As I said, appreciate any updates if you do try

Many thanks

John
                              I will just need to find a copy of the modified Pi code and will give it a shot and will definitely give updates in a separate thread :) thanks for your help!

David

Comment

Working...
                              X