Problem Detector: Mail Queue Size Exceeded - Bad Default

The default is set to 1,000. Everytime this has triggered, the spammers have already flooded the queue with several thousand messages and counting. In fact, the server is typically so bogged down, the problem detector email arrives much later than I think it actually sends. (I’ve seen the email come through, immediately checked, and the queue graph shows the queue surpassed 1,000 at least an hour ago.)

Even on our InterWorx boxes with over 100+ SiteWorx accounts, a mail queue over 50 almost always signals a problem. I have set all of ours to 50 and even still sometimes I have to sleep and the spammers land us on a DNS blacklist…

Recommendations

1. Set the default to 100 or less. 50 works well for us.
  2. I wish there was an option for halting outgoing SMTP if the queue exceeds an absolute maximum. Queue them, that’s fine, but a 5,000 message queue of spam chokes out the legit email anyway (“I sent the email an hour ago and they still haven’t received it…”). We need the spam to not get out to avoid getting blacklisted for the next few days.

(Is the NodeWorx > Feature Requests forum is closed to new posts?)

Hi jimp

Yes, feature request are closed and you need to open the feature request on IW ideas webpage interworx.com/ideas or the link is communities,ideas above.

Have you seen the post which does stop outbound email at a figure setup and sends an email to you.

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Hi jimp

Sorry, here’s the link to save you looking it up from kujoe

Many thanks

John

http://forums.interworx.com/showthread.php?t=7931

Thank you. That looks like it would work. I’ll post a feature request as well. We probably have too many InterWorx boxes to want to maintain a manual solution. But thanks for pointing me too it.