I know this has been asked a few times, but...

Every time Interworx is updated it changes all the default pages such as Account Suspended, Not Found, Skels etc.

I have found no 100% supported solution to modifying these files. Is there a chance we can just add something in Nodeworx that allows us to either A) define new URL to redirect to or B) define an absolute path to our modified files and then when updates happen they don’t get overwritten. I’ve given up and yes scripts can do regular replacement but I shouldn’t have to write scripts!

Is there any chance the latest rollups of PHP and MYSQL will be an option in the updates page? I.e. you could have a selection box to roll out the very latest Interworx verified version of PHP and MYSQL instead of having us do it manually because of CENTOS repos?

Just one final thought, is there a cheaper/free version of Interworx available that can just run the DNS clustering service (so we can have NS1 and NS2 separate from the other servers?

I know it sounds like I’m moaning but it’s just a few small niggles I noticed and overall I think Interworx is becoming a very, very mature product! Just love it! Keep up with all the enhancements!

Hi Gareth,

[QUOTE=gareth25;17327]Every time Interworx is updated it changes all the default pages such as Account Suspended, Not Found, Skels etc.

I have found no 100% supported solution to modifying these files. Is there a chance we can just add something in Nodeworx that allows us to either A) define new URL to redirect to or B) define an absolute path to our modified files and then when updates happen they don’t get overwritten. I’ve given up and yes scripts can do regular replacement but I shouldn’t have to write scripts![/QUOTE]
We have an undocumented feature - in the /home/interworx/iworx.ini file you can modify the location of the “skel” directory so it points to one that won’t be overwritten in regular InterWorx updates.
[LIST=1]

• Open the iworx.ini file: ``` nano ~iworx/iworx.ini ```
  • Find the [iworx.dir] section.
  • Change ``` skel="/home/interworx/etc/skel" ``` to the whatever directory you wish.
  • Hit Ctrl+O to save your file. Ctrl+X to exit.
  • Now, copy the contents of the current skel directory to your new directory: ``` cp -r /home/interworx/etc/skel [path to new skel directory] ```
  • Edit files as you wish! [/LIST]

There is something I will discuss with Paul, as maybe it wouldn’t be a bad idea for us to start maintaining a more robust up to date “unsupported” repository that can be activated from the InterWorx interface. As far as PHP, MySQL, and HTTPD needing to be “InterWorx Verified”, it’s pretty safe to install updated versions as long as they are compatible with your OS and architecture. The control panel has it’s own separate versions of httpd, php, and mysql just for running and displaying the CP that are segmented from ones that SiteWorx websites run on so you can update without breaking the CP (although you may break some of your client’s sites if they require a certain version).

This is also something we are looking into. A few people have asked about it and we agree that a cheap/free version just for DNS would be nice.

Thanks Gareth! We are always hard at work improving the control panel and adding new features.

• Add my name to the list of wanting the ability being able to run a DNS ONLY server else where (not unlike what cPanel has).

And also my name.

Mart Dirks - Gewoon IT

Is there really anything more to it than SCPing/rsyncing the database to a remote box running tinydns? In the DJB docs, that’s what he seems to be saying, though I’ve never gotten his “remote” rsync line to work, period, even with passwordless ssh keys. Obviously this is outside of the NodeWorx frontend, but as far as I can tell, it works - I can dig at the secondary box and get replies.

Not really. You can copy the data files from ~iworx/var/lib/dns periodically and that should essentially do the same thing. I’m not sure if the cdb is machine-dependent, but if it is you can still use the data-combined text file to create a new data.cdb on the secondary dns server.

I’ll see if I can whip together a simple “unsupported” solution that automates the setup of a dns secondary server sans an interworx license. It would not be feasible for us to spend a lot of time at the moment trying to implement a new dns-only license type.

add me to the list. I tried to use the setup shown in the old posting (from 2005?), but one of the scripts used is no longer available and I am stuck.

We have an undocumented feature - in the /home/interworx/iworx.ini file you can modify the location of the “skel” directory so it points to one that won’t be overwritten in regular InterWorx updates.