Customizing Interworx

I’m having problems using Interworx and want to customize things… for example…

1. Use www.domain.com instead of domain.com as Apache server name (SiteWorx name)… reduces necessity of rewrites inside httpd conf and simplifies linking to external servers when using ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse

2. Allow choice of any user name during SiteWorx account creation

3. Create DNS records only as needed and optimized to prevent multiple DNS lookups (current default settings result in unnecessary DNS lookups)

4. miscellaneous other things…

So, any tips on where to begin or things to look out for which might explain why things are the way they are?

Thanks!

Cliff.

Hello Cliff,

Let me address these one by one.

The next version of Iworx will have multi-domains per account and what you suggest would break this I think. Also having each account under it’s own suexec perms makes it more secure and permissions easier to manage.

1. Allow choice of any user name during SiteWorx account creation

This is not available, nor is it something that would be easy to change. The unique linux user name is created using the first 8 characters of the domain name spelled out to prevent duplication.

1. Create DNS records only as needed and optimized to prevent multiple DNS lookups (current default settings result in unnecessary DNS lookups)

I can see you’ve been looking at dnsstuff.com and dnsreport.com. :slight_smile:

I don’t know why it was designed this way. I can get Chris or Paul to respond to this, but I do know that there must have been a reason and dispite the “WARN”'s on those sites it isn’t really a problem. They ran the setup through all sorts of testing when they set the systen up almost 5 years ago with no significant issues.