How to update spamassassin

We have running a old version of spamassassin on our Interworx server. How can I update this to the latest release without problems?

We just recently released a SpamAssasssin 3.1.8 RPM, run the command
yum update

as root on your server and it should be installed for you.

Paul

I?ve tried this. The server has updated some thing but not the SpamAssassin. There is still running SpamAssassin 3.0.2 (2004-11-16) on this server

You’ll need to open a support ticket with us. Either your RPM database is having issues, or you’re running a pretty old version of InterWorx, or something. We’ll have to check it out, please open a support ticket here:

https://www.interworx.com/support/helpdesk/index.php?_m=tickets&_a=submit

Thanks,
Paul

Without me having to open a ticket for the same issue, with the following, can you tell me how to update using yum?

[root@tsh /]# yum update
Gathering header information file(s) from server(s)
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - Base
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - Fedora Legacy - Updates
Server: InterWorx-CP - Generic
Server: InterWorx-CP - Red Linux 9
Server: Red Hat Linux 9 - Updates
Finding updated packages
Downloading needed headers
No Packages Available for Update
No actions to take

[root@tsh /]# yum list spamassassin
Finding updated packages
Looking in Available Packages:
Name Arch Version Repo

spamassassin i386 3.1.8-100.rht90.iworx interworx-cp-rht90

Looking in Installed Packages:
Name Arch Version Repo

SpamAssassin i386 3.0.2-100.rht90.iworx db

So there is definitely an update, it sees it, but yum doesn’t install it with a ‘yum update’ or a ‘yum update spamassassin’

Any ideas? May help others as well.

Hi int,

Sorry I hadn’t got around to updating this thread yet. Here’s the issue and fix.

About a year ago we changed the name of the SpamAssassin RPM, and I had forgotten about it. You can run the command “yum upgrade” rather than “yum update” and it should get the new SpamAssassin version installed. (yum update is still the command you should normally run, this was just a special case).

Note that you probably only want to upgrade spamassassin - if it asks about other packages, be wary.
See this thread for issues a few folks had when trying to do this with solutions:
http://interworx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=913

Paul

[quote=IWorx-Paul;11729]Hi int,

Sorry I hadn’t got around to updating this thread yet. Here’s the issue and fix.

About a year ago we changed the name of the SpamAssassin RPM, and I had forgotten about it. You can run the command “yum upgrade” rather than “yum update” and it should get the new SpamAssassin version installed. (yum update is still the command you should normally run, this was just a special case).

Note that you probably only want to upgrade spamassassin - if it asks about other packages, be wary.
See this thread for issues a few folks had when trying to do this with solutions:

Paul[/quote]

Hey Paul - thanks for the quick reply =)

I had tried yum upgrade before posting as well though, with the same result.

I’ll check out the other thread

[quote=IWorx-Paul;11729]Hi int,

Paul[/quote]

Thanks for the quick reply Paul.

Tell me something though, if you can please. When I run yum upgrade, it fails because of my version of MySQL (upgraded last year sometime to 4.1.12 after much difficulty!). Trying to exclude MySQL results in 3 other packages wanting to be updated… is it safe to do so? This is what I see:

[root@tsh /]# yum upgrade
Finding updated packages
Finding obsoleted packages
Resolving dependencies
…Unable to satisfy dependencies
Package mysql-max needs mysql >= 4.0, this is not available.

[root@tsh /]# yum --exclude=mysql upgrade
Finding updated packages
Finding obsoleted packages
Resolving dependencies
…Dependencies resolved
I will do the following:
[update: spamassassin 3.1.8-100.rht90.iworx.i386]
I will install/upgrade these to satisfy the dependencies:
[deps: perl-Net-CIDR-Lite 0.20-101.rht90.iworx.i386]
[deps: perl-Mail-SPF-Query 1.999.1-101.rht90.iworx.i386]
[deps: perl-Sys-Hostname-Long 1.4-101.rht90.iworx.i386]
Is this ok [y/N]:

Any ideas?

I should have mentioned, those perl modules are just fine. It is indeed ok :).

Paul

[quote=IWorx-Paul;11732]I should have mentioned, those perl modules are just fine. It is indeed ok :).

Paul[/quote]

Thank you so much for the prompt replies (on a Sat. night much less!) Looks like it worked! Now to properly configure SpamAssassin to actually WORK! (it hasn’t been for months now)

InterWorx support continues to be the best around, honestly…

Thanks Paul!

What’s the major difference between upgrade and update?

“update” will update packages of the same name - “upgrade” looks for packages that, in RPM terms, “obsolete” other packages.

So in this case, the original RPM was named SpamAssassin-whatever, and the RPM name changed to “spamassassin-whatever”. When that happens, the “spamassassin-whatever” obsoletes the old SpamAssassin package - so upgrade is needed. Since RPMS rarely change names, it’s not needed in most cases.

Paul