DNS - master/slaves

Would someone be interested in helping me move to a proper DNS system that utilizes Master/Slave method?

The problem I have is our ns serves 2 kinds of DNS - Bind and DJBDNS. All servers are masters to themselves with one server serving the dns info for all NS.

This was born out of use of control panel systems over the years with each server being its own island.

Its gotten to a tipping point where we need to get this mess sorted out asap.

Thanks!

Are you looking to keep it a mix of Bind and djbdns?

I don’t know to be honest. We hardly do much regular hosting so bind could go away. But in a way i prefer bind over djbdns.

So I was thinking of utilizing 2 masters and 2 slaves until we no longer have BIND to bother with. They all use the same ns but different number.

The simplest solution is to use all InterWorx boxes and you can use the built in DNS sync that is available now in 2.1.3.

If that doesn’t sound feasible to you, the next simplest solution would be to use djbdns on all boxes. The InterWorx boxes export their DNS records into djbdns formatted files. If you set up master servers running djbdns, you’d simply have to write a script that grabs these exported files regularly from the InterWorx boxes.

If you want/need to keep it a mix of Bind/djbdns, we haven’t tried this ourselves, but there are a few other clients who have done it and have posted on the forums how they did it.

[quote=IWorx-Socheat;12095]The simplest solution is to use all InterWorx boxes and you can use the built in DNS sync that is available now in 2.1.3.

If that doesn’t sound feasible to you, the next simplest solution would be to use djbdns on all boxes. The InterWorx boxes export their DNS records into djbdns formatted files. If you set up master servers running djbdns, you’d simply have to write a script that grabs these exported files regularly from the InterWorx boxes.

If you want/need to keep it a mix of Bind/djbdns, we haven’t tried this ourselves, but there are a few other clients who have done it and have posted on the forums how they did it.[/quote]

rsyncing the data files for djbdns is what I’m looking to do; can you give a list of the files that would need to be rsync’ed to accomplish this?
Thanks.

This is easily done except for one thing. IWorx has a nasty habit of changing the SOA serial numbers every 5 minutes even if the zone data has not changed. This results in a deluge of unnecessary zone xfers. This is in fact the one problem that is currently preventing me from rolling iworx out into production.:frowning: