How do I change Apache mod_rewrite to use WordPress MU?

Hello,

I am installing WordPress MU (not the standard WordPress) so that I can run separate blogs on my subdomains. The instructions tell me to do the following the full instructions can be found at (www.bankofgreen.com/README.txt):

[INDENT]Apache

Apache must be configured so that mod_rewrite works. Here are
instructions for Apache 2. Apache 1.3 is very similar.

1. Make sure a line like the following appears in your httpd.conf
    LoadModule rewrite_module /usr/lib/apache2/modules/mod_rewrite.so

2. In the <Directory> directive of your virtual host, look for this
    line
    “AllowOverride None”
    and change it to
    “AllowOverride FileInfo Options”

3. In the <VirtualHost> section of the config file for your host there
    will be a line defining the hostname. You need to add the following
    if you want virtual hosts to work properly:
    “ServerAlias *.domain.tld”
    Replace domain.tld with whatever your one is, and remove the quotes.[/INDENT]But I have no idea how to get to that file as I just started using Interworx after having used cPanel for so long. Also, when I was trying to figure out how to do this when I was looking through Interworx Web Server FAQ, I saw this note: DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE WITHOUT CONSULTING WITH AN INTERWORX DEVELOPER.

So, I am begging and pleading and praying that someone can help me. I just don’t have a clue.

Thanks,

Ed

You don’t need to edit the any apache configs. All you need to to to get MU working is create a subdomain called

*.mydomain.com

I have this installed on one of my own domains. That’s all I did and it works fine. The included .htaccess file takes care of the rest.

Hey Tim!

Thanks for the reply! You know what the problem was… I created the subdomains and their folders ahead of time. After I simply deleted them, WordPress created them itself and now everything works cool. I can’t believe that didn’t even cross my mind before! Now, if I can just figure out why my blogs go blank when I switch themes… hmmmm

Thanks,

Ed

[QUOTE=stokedallthetim;13343]Hey Tim!

Thanks for the reply! You know what the problem was… I created the subdomains and their folders ahead of time. After I simply deleted them, WordPress created them itself and now everything works cool. I can’t believe that didn’t even cross my mind before! Now, if I can just figure out why my blogs go blank when I switch themes… hmmmm

Thanks,

Ed[/QUOTE]

If I remember well it might be a cache or tmp folder that is not writable for everybody
Check your tmp or cache folder

Pascal