Avoiding Siteworx name collisions for domains that look alike (but aren't)

Scenario: A pair of domains are named alike except for their TLDs, e.g, example.COM and example.NET. One is an existing Siteworx account that’s empty. The other account is being restored from a backup – preferably along-side the first one (home/site1 & home/site2).

The problem is that user/home naming is identical. When the backup is restored it ends up keeping original user/home names which are identical to the existing account. Instead of giving the account a unique name, Nodeworx restores the new account with its original name in a deeper directory than normal. This means more work for absolute paths in scripts and whatever else.

Instead of renaming the first account and moving the newly restored account, I figure I can just delete the first one, restore the second, and re-create the first account. Is this a clean way of doing it?

That sounds like a reasonable plan sysnop. However, when the username of an account being imported collides with an existing user on the system, it should choose a new name for the user being imported, rather than put it “deeper” in the initial username directory - if it’s not doing that, there’s a problem.

Paul

I don’t think there’s a problem with how Nodeworx restored this account. User error is more like it.

I was going to try to duplicate the problem for you when it dawned on me why Nodeworx restored the account the way it did. I forgot that I manually created the account first and user/home was named appropriately. Then I restored the account’s backup archive. I was prompted about over-writing the account and went with it. But it didn’t really over-write it, it placed the files beneath the user/home I manually created, and it’s now obvious to me why Nodeworx did that. I simply need to start out empty and let the restore process create the account from scratch. Sound about right?

Yep, that sounds right.

“One of these days I’ve got to get things right.
I’m gonna do my business in the daylight.”

(A Mose Allison lyric) :cool: