MySQL without old password (4.0 and lower) support

Hi,

I saw, my MySQL server had OLD-PASSWORDS enabled, and i wanted to disable it because is insecure, and does not allow the use of php5’s mysqlnd driver.

I changed the config file, restarted the SQL server, and updated the password of all customer.

Until this point everything works fine.

And then i updated the iworx user’s password exactly the same as it was (except the new, more secure hashing format) and InterWorx showed me a warning, that the server is not running, but i can reactivate it with a single click. The form asked me the username and password for the SQL server, and after submitting the form it showed an error message that the InterWorx can’t connect to the SQL server.

Maybe InterWorx does not support MySQL’s new password format?
Anybody has the same issue?

Thanks,
Robert

Hi Robert

I hope you don’t mind, but I’m thinking interworx uses a different version then clients, and clients is ver 5, which can still use older ver4 passwords, which I think is a setting.

Ofcourse I could be wrong and thinking of php etc, so I’m sorry if I am.

I hope that helps if not a red heron sorry.

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

The problem is not with the interworx internal SQL. Maybe the internal PHP version, but because it’s a modern control panel i think it uses PHP 5.3 at least.

Thanks,
Robert

Hi Robert

Sorry, a thought has just come to me, if the issue is only seen with iw db, it might be because it’s only ver4 db, and we’ve come accross this before, but I can’t remember the solution we used, sorry, but I think we created a new ver5 db, then ran a query to bring the tables etc into it from the ver4 db.

It might also explain why it still allows ver4 passwords.

I’m sorry if I’m wrong, it was just a thought.

Hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

Thanks for Your reply as always :slight_smile:

I think i was not clear enough about the issue.

Steps to reproduce (only on dev server DO NOT TRY ON PRODUCTION):

• Change MySQL configuration and disable old password support (Set old-passwords=0)
  • Restart the MySQL server
  • Log into the phpMyAdmin and change the iworx user’s password exactly to the current one (this step updates v4 hash to the new format)
  • Now check the MySQL Remote Server menu.
  • Click the reactivate link, and provide the login details, and submit the form
  • An error message appear on the top of the page

Thanks,
Robert

Hi Robert

I hope you don’t mind, and I could not check yesterday, but I’m sure you know already, the MySQL version running for interworx only is Ver 4.0.21.

I am still thinking this is the reason for your failure, but I’d appreciate your thoughts, as I know your very experienced, but again, I’m sorry if I’m sorry if I am wrong.

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the reply. You’re right, i’m sure the problem is the internal MySQL version.
But why InterWorx uses a 9 years old release that is not supported officially instead of the 5.x version?

Robert

Hi Robert

Many thanks, it’s not too often I’m right sorry.

I’m not too sure but I would think there are reasons, which off top of my head, could be because it’s internal only, with no external access, perhaps clustering plays a part in the complexity of upgrading to current version, and perhaps it’s on their future list of to do’s.

These though are just my personal thoughts.

Many thanks

John