Using as DNS Only, what should I disable?

While waiting for the DNS Only version of Interworx to be released, I’m using just a normal install for my remote dns servers. I’ve disabled a few things like mail, etc…but was wondering if anyone has an extensive list of all the process that could be deactivated on an interworx server that is only being used as a remote synced dns server for the rest of the interworx cluster.

Thanks in advance!

Hi staxed

I hope you don’t mind but my personal thoughts are just use IW-cp to stop all services you don’t need.

This then gives you the ability to enable them should the need arise, and also although the service is still available, they need enabling, and so cannot be used, but to be honest, if there are no sites using this server, even though all services are enabled, there should be little impact, but gives you the ability to use spare capacity in resource if your cluster needs it.

As I said, it’s only my thoughts, and I could be wrong sorry, but is based on the fact if you have installed full IW-cp, then if has to meet a certain hardware standard.

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;25935]Hi staxed

I hope you don’t mind but my personal thoughts are just use IW-cp to stop all services you don’t need.

This then gives you the ability to enable them should the need arise, and also although the service is still available, they need enabling, and so cannot be used, but to be honest, if there are no sites using this server, even though all services are enabled, there should be little impact, but gives you the ability to use spare capacity in resource if your cluster needs it.

As I said, it’s only my thoughts, and I could be wrong sorry, but is based on the fact if you have installed full IW-cp, then if has to meet a certain hardware standard.

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

Hey John,

That’s what I was thinking about doing for the most part, I don’t really mess with the inner working of DNS much other than just messing with records. Are there any needed requirements that I need to keep on for dns to work/update? Mysql, etc? Or should I just be able to disable everything except DNS via the panel?

Hi staxed

I believe you should be good to stop all services on the IW-cp, apart from dns service.

I’ve checked quickly, and dns zones are shown in IW-cp database, and as IW use their own MySQL php etc. you should be good to disable.

However, if you find anything which needs to be running, as it is only stopped, just start it up, but as I said above, IW use their own resources.

Many thanks

John

Yup, thanks for the help :). Everything seems to be working just fine, dns servers are running with less than 90mb RAM now :).

I’m planning to use one of our test server which is a very-very small VPS (128MB RAM, 64MB Swap :D) to sync DNS records. Is it possible to install IW-CP to this small VPS? What are the minimal requirements of IW? I want to use the RC versions on Centos 6 because it wouldn’t be an important server.

What is the smallest environment you are using?
(I’m using a different CP (Vesta) on it with one domain and running rsync in every second hour without any problem.)

Hi dss

I hope your well and business is good

I believe the minimum is 512mb ram, but would need to check on interworx website.

I have loaded without issue on a vps running proxmox KVM centos 6 64 bit and it worked.

I did not try anything lower sorry.

You could try and upon first use, turn off all other services not required. Just remember, IW will uninstall what it does not need on your server and you would have to free up the ports from your current CP.

Another thought, why not install tinydns and just rsync from axfr

Sorry I cannot be more helpful but appreciate if you could post to let us know

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

Tinydns will be the second option, I just want to try the RC version. I like to “play” with my small server so I think, I will try to install IW later. :slight_smile:

I don’t remember exactly what kind of VPS have I used years ago with IW, but I know it was very small.

I will post the results when I will have time to play with it!

Thanks!

Hi dss

Sorry just checked on website and minimum spec is

256mb ram (512mb recommended)
Pentium 3 or greater
512mb disk space for interworx CP

Hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Hi John,
Thank you! I upgraded my small VPS (128MB) to 256MB + 128 swap, and everything works fine except clamav. But it is not important, because only one of our test page is hosted on the machine.
DNS snyc is working good. We installed PostgreSQL server, BFD and logwatch working good too. So I can say, 256MB is enough to build DNS only server. The OS is Centos 6 minimal on OpenVZ.