Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change where mail is stored?

Hi,

Bit of a odd question and I do think the answer is no but just wanted to double check. Is it possible to change the path where emails are stored? Like onto an NFS drive maybe where there is more space. This would only be for specific accounts though rather than everyone.

Hi Bertie

A Good question and one which pops up now and again

I think the best answer is no

However, you could move your /home or /chroot/home to nfs drive and tell IW where home is in nodeworx settings

You could try a symlink on those accounts but would not like to say what affect that might have

I think if memory serves correctly, some users may have tried but later I think they had problems and using IW pex to correct would put the mailbox back to correct position

Also, if you did move some, how would you tell IW the space it used, so if not able to, then the space allowance would be more then you set

Please could I ask what size mailboxes are

Many thanks

John

Comment

I've thought about trying this too, but just for the email only. As Gmail and Office 365 Exchange accounts become more the norm, people even on a shared account want to be able to store gigs and gigs of IMAP email which cuts into the SSD more expensive drive storage. Would be nice to move large accounts email to a standard drive.
      [ JUSTIN ]
      [ OFF unit ]
      [ WEB DESIGN / DEVELOPMENT, GRAPHIC DESIGN, OTHER STUFF
      ]

Comment

Hi Justin

I hope your well

This is totally unsupported by Interworx and if trying/testing the following may incur charges from interworx if they need to become involved to correct. Also, you do so at your own risk as I accept no responsibility for anything which may happen.

I had a quick look and think, and although untested, the below may or may not work. I would strongly suggest you first try using a test siteworx account

Firstly you need to stop qmail fully
        Copy or move mail folder to new drive (nfs folders may cause degradation but you can test) and make sure perms/rights fully match exactly
        In var/vpopmail/domains delete the symlink on the new test domain you created and create new symlink for the domain to point to new moved mailbox
        Restart qmail
        Test, test, test and leave running for at least 24 hours so you can see if the quota space is calculated correctly.

It may or may not work and was just a quick thought but to repeat, interworx would charge for fixing and you change at your own risk

Many thanks

John

Comment

John, I'm definitely not going to do this until it's supported (and it may never be). Honestly, even though SSD drives are more expensive, they do give a better IMAP experience with all the thousands of small email files in each account. So probably makes more sense to just invest in bigger drives when they are needed.
          [ JUSTIN ]
          [ OFF unit ]
          [ WEB DESIGN / DEVELOPMENT, GRAPHIC DESIGN, OTHER STUFF
          ]

Comment

Hi Justin

Many thanks and like you, I prefer not too unless supported

It does work lovely though, as I just tried but I do not know if space quota count is working.

At the very least, if you wanted to move just a few very large mailboxes, you could as this is just changing outside IW, and Amy new email accounts for that siteworx domain is created within the new folder.

All new siteworx accounts are created in default areas

Lastly, I am not sure if any IW updates would overwrite the above

Many thanks and hope that helps a little

John

Comment

Working...
            X