Reverse DNS (rDNS), PTR records

What reverse DNS zone format does InterWorx use? (DeGroot, RFC2317, RFC4183) This is slightly important to know and does not appear to be mentioned in the forums or online docs. (Or, I’m blind.)

Hi ometicon

To be honest, i have never thought to look at that.

I would suggest it uses the same rfc as dns, tinydns, so if you goto server settings, dns overview, you should see the rfc used.

Do you mind me asking if your asking this question because you have been delegated full control over your cidr

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;27537]Hi ometicon

To be honest, i have never thought to look at that.

I would suggest it uses the same rfc as dns, tinydns, so if you goto server settings, dns overview, you should see the rfc used.

Do you mind me asking if your asking this question because you have been delegated full control over your cidr

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

The RFC you refer to has nothing to do with reverse DNS. If I were allocated a full /24 then this would not be an issue. The issue comes when one is allocated less than a full /24 and has been sub-delegated reverse DNS for that allocation. Please refer to the the standards mentioned in my original post to see how this is handled differently at the reverse DNS zone level. As far as I can recall, this has been an issue ever since I’ve had an InterWorx license. It just happened to not be an issue before as I had control of the parent zone files.

If that didn’t answer your question, I have been sub-delegated control over a /26 at a new DC.

For anyone who may have this same issue in the future below is the solution. This is a rather ugly way to have to do this but, that’s one of the downsides to djbdns. First, you need to know the reverse DNS sub-delegation methodology used by your IP provider. Second, you need to provide your IP provider with the DNS server(s) you with to have reverse DNS lookups sent to. (This would, in theory, be your InterWorx server(s) IP(s) that have the DNS process running.) Third, you need to place the reverse DNS entry in the zone file for the domain you want to use. I will use the 10.1.20.192 /26 network in this example. Place the “Reverse DNS Entry” in the IP field of the PTR creation form. Then place the hostname you want the reverse DNS lookup to map to in the host field. That’s it.

DeGroot Sub-Delegation
IP: 10.1.20.194
Reverse DNS entry: 194.subnet192.20.1.10.in-addr.arpa

RFC2317 Sub-Delegation
Reverse DNS entry: 194.192-255.20.1.10.in-addr.arpa

RFC4193 Sub-Delegation
Reverse DNS entry: 194.192-26.20.1.10.in-addr.arpa