4th default nameserver

Is there a way to add a 4th entry easily?

I know I don’t need one, but I have 4 dns servers so figured I might as well see if I can add one if it’s simple enough.

Hi staxed

Hope your well

You can add as many as you like, but perhaps not in a way you might be thinking sorry, but your only allowed to use upto 8 NS I believe

The way I would do it, and you can cluster them, would be as follows

Create primary NS ns1.nameserver.url
Secondary ns2.nameserver.url
Third ns3.nameserver.url

Now, let’s assume these 3 servers are on there own servers

To set a fourth nameserver, you create ns4.nameserver.url

Now let’s assume all 3 slaves will sync with primary, so the primary ns1 updates the 3 slave NS, hence all having same DNS as primary

When setting the siteworx account NS to use, you can primary and any of the 3 slaves

Create even more NS and you expand it outwards as needed

I hope that makes sense as I’m starting to confuse myself now

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;28128]Hi staxed

Hope your well

You can add as many as you like, but perhaps not in a way you might be thinking sorry, but your only allowed to use upto 8 NS I believe

The way I would do it, and you can cluster them, would be as follows

Create primary NS ns1.nameserver.url
Secondary ns2.nameserver.url
Third ns3.nameserver.url

Now, let’s assume these 3 servers are on there own servers

To set a fourth nameserver, you create ns4.nameserver.url

Now let’s assume all 3 slaves will sync with primary, so the primary ns1 updates the 3 slave NS, hence all having same DNS as primary

When setting the siteworx account NS to use, you can primary and any of the 3 slaves

Create even more NS and you expand it outwards as needed

I hope that makes sense as I’m starting to confuse myself now

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

This is exactly what I do (except my syncing is a bit different), however that’s not what I’m asking.

I want to add a 4th nameserver to each servers default nameservers (instead of right now where you assigned primary, secondary, tertiary, I would like to add a 4th to each server).

Hi staxed

Sorry, I understood what you were asking, and to be honest, I should have posted if you want this, you would need to post it on the ideas page of IW, where it could be voted on

In the short term, you could manually add extra NS to server, or create a hook which would create the additional NS record, but it would not appear in the DNS section where you see the NS as you stated.

Please also remember it is where the domain is registered where the NS are set, which usually give upto 8 which could be registered for NS, and these are not directly set by IW, but could be from your billing panel as ours are

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John