email addresses

Hi all,

One of my clients has decided to move their email’s to me from their 3rd party email host. When they signed up I told IW where to point the MX records to.

So now that they have decided to move to me, I can’t figure out how to create the email addresses with me, without first changing the MX records.

Someone please tell me IW will somehow allow this?

Hi Kat

Hope your well

You first create the siteworx account, and ensure the DNS records are correct, ie the repointed mx record client point to, let say is 1.1.1.1, which is the same as your IW IP address 1.1.1.1

Then create the email addresses as needed

You can set the siteworx account up first before client changes mx record, as it will only come live once client changes their mx record. This applies to all DNS entries if held and in control on a different NS

Please remember if using SPF and/or dkims, dmarc to have those records altered to allow your server as authorised for sending email, or the client may have issues sending

I prefer to have the NS pointed as apposed to single records, but it’s really upto client which they want to use

Lastly, please remember to let client know about a time delay due to DNS cache. I usually say 4 - 8 hours but could take upto 48 hours, but this is just to cover the changeover of cached DNS mx records.

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Hi Kat

Sorry, just in case you have set the DNS up and not siteworx, you need to delete the DNS first, then create the siteworx account, which creates the DNS

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

To help clear up some confusion, the account is already existing with IW, DNS is managed by IW already.

Kat

Hi Kat

Many thanks, so you just need to login to the siteworx account, goto email, create etc and when ready, change your mx record back to your server

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

Granted logically that is how it should work, but it doesn’t seem to actually work that way. If you don’t have MX records hosted by the server then IW won’t show you the email address screen :frowning:

Kat

Hi Kat

Sorry, I have not come a cross that sorry

I think it should work then if you create secondary mx record, which point to your server but set secondary mx as last priority ie third party mailer high priority and secondary mailer last priority

As it is changing to yours, once set it should help with DNS cache as well

Many thanks

Jobn