Disabled Services continue to Start on Reboot

Hi,

I?m running Interworx v5.1.14 on a CentOS 7 VPS server and I?m having a problem with disabled services that continue to auto-start after server reboot.

On Interworx I have stopped the services and also set the ?No? option on the ?Start on boot-up? menu. But every time I reboot my server the services start again.

Is this some Interworx problem / bug? How can I disable / stop this services in a permanent way?

The services I want to disable / stop are:
POP3
Secure POP3
IMAP
Secure IMAP
SMTP Server
Alt. Inbound SMTP Server
Spam Filtering
Virus Filtering
DNS Server
NFS Server

Thanks

Hi nqservices

I believe there are still the odd bugs, and no doubt some still to be found in centos 7

You should be able to stop the services from autostart on reboot but I would need to check the command, a Google should tell you quickly though

Just a warning though, do not stop the DNS server, as that is used for websites email etc, you would be better to not use the NS and therefore no DNS is used externally

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;28594]Hi nqservices

I believe there are still the odd bugs, and no doubt some still to be found in centos 7

Just a warning though, do not stop the DNS server, as that is used for websites email etc, you would be better to not use the NS and therefore no DNS is used externally
[/QUOTE]

Hi John,

Thanks for your advice. Im new to Interworx… and you see to have experience. So i appreciate if you can respond to 2 more question still related with this:

When you say the auto-start problem can be ralated with CentOS 7 bugs, you can confirm that in CentOS 6, this works properly?

I will use command line to disable the services auto-start, but you said not to stop DNS server. On my server i only host 1 domain and its DNS is hosted on a external provider (dnsmadeeasy.com). So can you please explain be better why can’t i just disable the DNS service?

Thanks

Hi Nqservices
Sorry, I should have been more clearer, the bugs would be within IW-CP, as it is major change which required full code change, and each users system could be different.
Centos 6.8 works lovely, all features/IW-CP work as expected
Again, apologies, I should have been clearer over DNS. IW-CP uses DNS internally, so it knows the siteworx DNS. If you disable DNS, you will possible stop the siteworx account from displaying its website etc (unless you set all DNS to localhost, which may add delay to hosting/DNS resolution). So my advice is to leave DNS running, just simply do not use your NS externally. Using another providers DNS is fine, and pointing the A records is fine, but without the DNS running on the IW-CP, then it would not resolve and fail.
I hope that is a little clearer
I hope that helps
Many thanks
John

Hi John,

Once again thanks for your advices. One more question:

1- You said you use CentOS 6.8 and all works fine. So maybe there are still some bugs with CentOS 7 + IW? At the moment is it best to use CentOS 6.8 + IW in production servers instead of CentOS 7?

Thanks

Hi nqservices

It is personal choice of yours

Centos 6 should continue with patches for a number of years yet

Centos 7 does work, it is if you can live with a few manual inputs until resolved (IW do not give timeframes or details of their roadmap for commercial reasons)

Both do work, however, you have to decide what fits you best, and the please remember all software have bugs/issues, you need to balance the difference between a stable older version against a newer version, which may have unknown bugs

I hope that helps you

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

Once again thanks for your advice. Regarding use CentOS 6 or 7 i do not have a personal choice or favorite.

My objective is to have the most stable and reliable OS for Interworx and from your responses i conclude that you recommend CentOS 6.8 because it has less bugs with Interworx when comparing with the new CentOS 7, correct?

But i need to run Apache 2.4 + PHP 5.6 + MariaDB v10.

So do you know if after install Interworx on CentOS 6.8 i can then update the Apache + PHP + MariaDB?

Do you have any experience running servers with that kind of setup?

Thanks

Hi nqservices

Many thanks and sorry, you posted earlier over mariadb

Given your needs, you would need to use centos 7.

Mariadb and php, works on centos 6 but Apache 2.4 is centos 7 for IW

Sorry, I have not used centos 7 with your setup in production, or upgraded mariadb to v10/10.1

I know other friends and users who use centos7 in production, but not sure of their mariadb version they use

Hopefully, users on centos 7 will post with their experiences

Many thanks

John

Hi all,

Does anyone here on the forum uses CentOS 7 + Interworx?

If yes, can you confirm the auto-start bug? Before i contact Interworx support team about this, i want to make sure it’s a bug and not a problem on my own server.

Thanks

Hi all,

Just to inform that i have contacted InterWorx support team and they have confirm 2 bugs related with the auto-start of the spam and virus services with CentOS 7. They will try to fix this in future InterWorx updates.

Anyway on my server this problem also happens with SMTP Server, but im still waiting for InterWorx team to confirm if this is a bug or just a problem with my specific server.

Does anyone also experience this bugs?

Thanks