What to set in SMTP Greeting?

Hi,

On menu System Services > Mail Server > MTA Settings > MTA SMTP Options (inbound) > SMTP Greeting, what should i use?

On the ? button it says: “The SMTP greeting shown to mail servers when they connect to the SMTP daemon on this server. This must begin with a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) per RFC 2821.”

My server hostname is: server.mydomain.com and it hosts some other domains. So what should i use in the SMTP Greeting?

Thanks

Hi nqservices

You can use anything you wish too subject to the following

The domain must actually exist
The correct DNS records must be present, inc PTR

So, your domain exists, your subdomain A record exists, but if you have not done so, you need to have a PTR which matches server.mydomain.com on your IP address used to send email

Also, ideally you need to use your own SSL (CA approved) for server.mydomain.com.

Lastly, it’s early here so apologies, but I seem to remember that you do not have your server hostname created as a siteworx account, so if you attempt to test your server SSL, it may fail

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

Fully-qualified domain names (FQDNs) are permitted when domain names are used in SMTP.
Have a look at:
https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/mx-records-check-and-smtp-greeting.66065/