Proper Email setup?

I have 3 servers right now, and all of them are setup to use mail.122media.com as the mail server. Is this the correct way to do it if I don’t actually have a dedicated mail.122media.com server?

I got a bounceback this morning (first one I’ve seen) that makes me wonder if something is setup incorrectly…haven’t messed with mail servers much though so I’m not sure where to start with Interworx/Mail?

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.122media.com.
I’m afraid I wasn’t able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I’ve given up. Sorry it didn’t work out.

sales@anotherdomain.com>:
xxx.xx.xx.xx does not like recipient.
Remote host said: 554 5.7.1 : Helo command rejected: Go away
Giving up on xxx.xx.xx.xx.

— Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: email@122media.com>
Received: (qmail 23346 invoked by uid 108); 15 Aug 2016 13:27:48 +0000
Received: by simscan 1.4.0 ppid: 23340, pid: 23344, t: 0.1153s
scanners:none
Received: from unknown (HELO mail-oi0-f48.google.com) (email@122media.com@xx.xx.xx.xx)
by server.122media.com with ESMTPSA; 15 Aug 2016 13:27:48 +0000
Received: by mail-oi0-f48.google.com with SMTP id l203so59435158oib.1
for sales@anotherdomain.com>; Mon, 15 Aug 2016 06:27:47 -0700 (PDT)
X-Gm-Message-State: AEkoouu1I2SixbzA0EyHUezBY++LHlpablcf81hLurDyxiEv4JtvJs/HA3aqv58L0qh4zyXE+VotqeoMKiyiRw==
X-Received: by 10.202.226.205 with SMTP id z196mr15531521oig.13.1471267667429;
Mon, 15 Aug 2016 06:27:47 -0700 (PDT)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Received: by xx.xx.xx.xx with HTTP; Mon, 15 Aug 2016 06:27:46 -0700 (PDT)
In-Reply-To:
References:
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2016 09:27:46 -0400
X-Gmail-Original-Message-ID: CAH23dZA82jeF4dhBD3JgZ4wYhXmTc7g-Y0exiLp7ctthMouiRQ@mail.gmail.com>
Message-ID: CAH23dZA82jeF4dhBD3JgZ4wYhXmTc7g-Y0exiLp7ctthMouiRQ@mail.gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Subject
To: person sales@anotherdomain.com>
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary=001a114093ceafd0c4053a1c32ec

–001a114093ceafd0c4053a1c32ec
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Hi staxed

I’m sorry, I am not clear if you are using your own mail server, 1 of the IW servers as your mail server, how you have your 3 IW servers setup ie clustered or standalone

You need a mail server, could be 1 of your 3 IW servers if standalone or if clustered, this part is setup already

You then point your mx record to this mail server

If using 1 standalone mail server, not clustered, then you will need to add the email domains into the mail server for those held on the other 2 IW servers

Personally, I would cluster the IW servers as this is taken care off for you

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

Hi staxed

Sorry, if your using a different external email provider, you just set the mx to their record eg google mail

Please remember to tell the siteworx accounts that you use external email from siteworx, administration email or you could set it to use external email from nodeworx, plugins, but any siteworx a accounts setup already would need checking

If this is how you use email, external provider, then the rejection of email is on their mail platform and not yours

Also, check RBL lists to make sure your server ip address are not blacklisted

Many thanks

John

I am hosting the mail myself, no external provider.

I have 3 VPS, so clustering is not an option. Right now I only use two of the servers for production, the 3rd is just a DNS only slave (doesn’t host any accounts, just used as a redundant DNS server). I just have default interworx installs on both of the other servers server1.122media.com and server2.122media.com. Both of them have mail.122media.com setup in the mail settings, but I don’t see any IP settings in the Mail section of nodeworx…so not sure what to do?

If default interworx assigns the server IP as the mail server IP, then I’m assuming each server is showing mail.122media.com as the mail server, but each has it’s own IP…which might be where the bounce came from?

Hi staxed

Many thanks

Your bounce is coming from your mail server

You have 2 IW servers (DNS slave will not hold siteworx accounts)

Let’s say your primary mail server is mail1 on IW1, with IW2 been your second standalone server, with mail pointed at IW1 server

When you setup a siteworx account in IW1, all email will work as normal

However, creating siteworx accounts on IW2, will not create email accounts on IW1

This is where your bounce is coming from

So, you will need to add the email accounts to IW1, so IW1 knows about these email accounts and works normally

Interestingly, you could add email domains as domain alias to qmail, as mheinden thread, which may work in your setup

I hope that helps explain it better

Many thanks

John

Since I couldn’t possibly hope to recreate shared account emails myself on another server. How would this normally be setup? I guess instead of trying to have one mail.122media.com mail server I should have one for each server in that case (since they aren’t clustered?).

Good with lots of stuff, feel like a noob with mail though, lol.

[QUOTE=d2d4j;28926]Hi staxed

Many thanks

Your bounce is coming from your mail server

You have 2 IW servers (DNS slave will not hold siteworx accounts)

Let’s say your primary mail server is mail1 on IW1, with IW2 been your second standalone server, with mail pointed at IW1 server

When you setup a siteworx account in IW1, all email will work as normal

However, creating siteworx accounts on IW2, will not create email accounts on IW1

This is where your bounce is coming from

So, you will need to add the email accounts to IW1, so IW1 knows about these email accounts and works normally

Interestingly, you could add email domains as domain alias to qmail, as mheinden thread, which may work in your setup

I hope that helps explain it better

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

Hi staxed

Many thanks, and apologies, I thought you want to run only 1 mail server

You are correct then, if you do not mind running mail server on both IW servers.

This is the better way and preferred method.

Email can be setup to how a particular admin wants it setup, so there are no correct or wrong way to setup mail servers.

Lastly, we’re all noobs, I certainly never stop learning, and sometimes have relearn things from a few years ago :slight_smile:

Many thanks

John