Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restricting ftp users to html directory

Hi
    Is there a way to setup new and existing siteworx accounts so when ftp is used they are restricted to html directory, a suppressing amount
    of users do not know what they are doing and end up either uploading to the wrong directory or deleting all the files in root.

Than you
    Gary T

Hi Bear

Good question and I believe this can be achieved by adding additional lines in FTP config .

The exact lines I am not sure, but I changed ours to not allow executable files such as .exe or .com etc... to be uploaded or have a file already in their ftp folders renamed as executable

Many thanks

John

Comment

I will have a search and find out, thank you
      Gary T

Comment

Hi Bear

I think the following may help you

Many thanks

John

The syntax for the DefaultRoot directive is:

DefaultRoot DIRECTORY USER(S)

You can make DefaultRoot entries at the bottom of the proftpd.conf file.

Example 1: To restrict the user 'myname' to their home directory, you would make the following addition to the proftpd.conf file:

DefaultRoot ~ myname

The ~ represents the home directory of any user, so this would restrict the user myname to their home directory when in FTP.

Example 2 - To restrict the user myname to a vhost directory, the following entry could be made:

DefaultRoot /home/unixname/domain.url/html/ myname

You need to restart ProFTP when changed

Comment

Sorry I missed your comment John, thank you for the information.

It seams quite easy to restrict individuals to a directory but I could not find a way to restrict all users of the server to html directory without listing every users in the proftpd.conf.

Gary T

Comment

Working...
          X