Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-SSL Email Issues

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has seen similar in the past or recently - When clients are using non-SSL ports it seems there is a delay in downloading emails. It takes a good while for it to even make a connection or it will eventually time out. If using SSL ports such as 995 then no problems at all. Apparently it started over the weekend - Can't seem to figure out what it is. I've tried restarting the services and server and the problem still occurs.

I'm trying to get clients who have the problem to switch over to the SSL ports but a solution would be handy.

Cheers,

Hi Bertie

Many thanks

Is there anything shown in mail logs at all for issue

Does it just happen on mobiles or email clients (such as Outlook etc..) or both

Is it same issue for all clients or just some

What version of IW are you using

Have you tested the connection using a command prompt, if so, how quickly does the service repond (telnet your-ip-address 25 and telnet your-ip-address 110)

If just some clients see this issue, how big are their mailboxes

Many thanks

John

Comment

Originally posted by d2d4j View Post
      Hi Bertie

Many thanks

Is there anything shown in mail logs at all for issue

Does it just happen on mobiles or email clients (such as Outlook etc..) or both

Is it same issue for all clients or just some

What version of IW are you using

Have you tested the connection using a command prompt, if so, how quickly does the service repond (telnet your-ip-address 25 and telnet your-ip-address 110)

If just some clients see this issue, how big are their mailboxes

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

Could you remind me which log file actually contains the parts where if a user does try to log in? I'm so used to exim that I often forget how qmail works with the log files.

From what I can gather from clients

- Seems to be multiple clients from different domain names, devices don't seem to matter. I've been personally testing Outlook on Windows.
      - InterWorx-CP v6.4.1 (I know it's not the latest but this issue occurred at the earilest on Friday)
      - Telnet seems to come back fairly quick if not instant

telnet *removed* 110
      Trying *IP Address here*...
      Connected to *Removed*.
      Escape character is '^]'.
      +OK <31562.1584975479@*Removed*>

Comment

Hi Berie

Best to login to nodeworx, system, logs, mail and look at pop and smtp logs

These will give date/time stamps whereas looking at raw logs, you woudl need to convert to date/time stamps

Are they showing large wait times from a user logging in to say sending email

A fuller test from telnet as below

Does this show any delay - your initial telnet shows normal as been instant (or near instant) so no issues with service at server level

Many thanks

John

telnet your-ip-address 25
        rset
        helo yourdomain
        mail from:email address
        RCPT TO:email address
        data
        Subject:Your Subject (remember to press enter twice)
        type message
        to finish type . and enter

Comment

Originally posted by d2d4j View Post
          Hi Berie

Best to login to nodeworx, system, logs, mail and look at pop and smtp logs

These will give date/time stamps whereas looking at raw logs, you woudl need to convert to date/time stamps

Are they showing large wait times from a user logging in to say sending email

A fuller test from telnet as below

Does this show any delay - your initial telnet shows normal as been instant (or near instant) so no issues with service at server level

Many thanks

John

telnet your-ip-address 25
          rset
          helo yourdomain
          mail from:email address
          RCPT TO:email address
          data
          Subject:Your Subject (remember to press enter twice)
          type message
          to finish type . and enter
          Looking at the logs I'm seeing a lot of:

Mar 23 15:45:19 ipanel spamd[9170]: spamd: connection from 127.0.0.1 [127.0.0.1]:40889 to port 783, fd 5
          Mar 23 15:45:19 ipanel spamc[16912]: connect to spamd on ::1 failed, retrying (#1 of 3): Connection refused

Could it be related?
          Last edited by Bertie; 03-23-2020, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Hi Bertie

Many thanks

I do not think that is the issue, and I think the later IW version corrects the spam connect failure (SA I believe trying to use IPV6 and/or not localhost first for connection) - I have not seen that since

I woudl restart server and test again

Did you try to send a test email by telnet - if so, was it instant or any delay

Thinking about it more, is the seen delay on the initial connection - if so, what RBL checks do you have listed (thnking the delay maybe an RBL connect timing) - if not, where does the delay happen ie after initial connection and sending

Many thanks

John

Comment

Update -

Managed to resolve the issue thanks to Interworx support. There was a missing PTR record on the server name clients use to connect to the mail server and also a nameserver in /etc/resolv.conf which was not working correctly. Fixed both and it is now instant connection to the server.

Comment

Hi Bertie

I'm so pleased its resolved. Kudos to IW

Many thanks

John

Comment

Working...
                X