Letsencript removed domain renewal issue

I have a slight problem, I have removed a sub domain from siteworx. the domain had a letsencript certificate and this has been also removed.

Checking my logs I have noticed that even though the domain and certificate does not exist, the certificate for the removed domain is still trying to be renewed by Letsencript.
How can I remove all references to the domains certificate to stop letsencript trying to renew it, were is the information stored that Letsencript uses to try and renew.

Apr 23 13:10:12 serv cst2[2036]: Client certificate expires at Feb 21 10:08:20, attempting to renew

Apr 23 13:10:12 serv cst2[2036]: Requesting new client certificate

Apr 23 13:10:24 serv cst2[2036]: Unable to generate new certificate

Apr 23 13:10:26 serv cst2[2036]: Checking for tools update

Apr 23 13:10:26 serv cst2[2036]: Unable to check for update

Apr 23 13:11:26 serv cst2[2036]: Client certificate expires at Feb 21 10:08:20, attempting to renew

Apr 23 13:11:26 serv cst2[2036]: Requesting new client certificate

Apr 23 13:11:26 serv cst2[2036]: Unable to generate new certificate

Apr 23 13:12:26 serv cst2[2036]: Checking for tools update

Apr 23 13:12:27 serv cst2[2036]: Unable to check for update

Hi Bear

good question and I am not sure myself sorry

If you generate a new LE cert using primary domain, does this then stop the sub domain from trying to renew

Many thanks and stay safe

John

The primary has already got a cert on it but I could try generating it again or even adding the sub domain back again.

Hi Bear

Sorry thinking about this, and if you mean a sub domain and not secondary, I would think the error is correct if you did not regenerate the LE cert once sub domain deleted.

This is because the LE cert is fixed at the point of first generation of cert with domain/subdomains

eg mydomain.url www.mydomain.url ftp.mydomain.url subdomain.mydoamin.url - generate LE cert

auto renew now attempts using this

delete subdomain.mydomain.url from siteworx

this does not delete the subdomain.mydomain.url from the LE cert

autorenew now should fail (I believe in full and not renew LE cert)

if you manually generate LE cert using mydomain.url www.mydomain.url ftp.mydomain.url then the autorenew would complete without failures

This is the same behaviour in reverse if you create a new subdomain from siteworx but not manually generate a new LE cert - so the subdomain is not covered by an LE SSL until LE cert is manually generated and subdomain also selected

I am not sure if this is the best way but it is how I believe IW LE works, and I believe LE wildcard has changed so not sure if LE wildcard could be added

I hope that helps a little and sorry if I am wrong

John

[LEFT]Sorry John i made an error
i ment secondary domain, i removed a secondary domain that had a Le cert on it, now Letsencript is trying to renew the cert even though the secondary domain does not excist
Trying to find what triggers the LE Cert renewal and hopeful stop it from trying to renew something thats not there.
Thank you for your reply and time[/LEFT]

Hi Bear

Many thanks, I did wonder if it were a secondary domain

I would test first by creating the same secondary domain, then generate using LE SSL, then edit all elements of the SSL (keys, chain etc) and delete them (edit and delete)

Then delete the secondary

Does this then stop the LE SSL auto renew error

I would also open a support with IW so they can have a look to see what’s gone wrong or needs bug fixing

John

Hi Bear

Sorry, please ignore my last post and could you check the following and confirm if this resolves the issues

SSH into your server and chekc the following folder

/etc/letsencrypt/renewal

Is the secondary domain listed

If so, delete the secondary domain

Does this then stop the renewal error for LE on a non existent domain

I believe it would and if so, IW just need ot ensure it is delete from this folder upon domain deletion

John

its all got a little confusing but yes i did notice when the cert and secondary was deleted then it left those folders, i did manually delete them my self.
Jenna from support found the issue in the end, it was not related to the domain LE Cert but to another certificate something to do with iomart CloudsureTools Controller.
Contacting iomart this is used for server provisioning to install the OS and networking.It is also used for any OS reinstallation requests from the customer.
Iomart developers are looking into the cert issue.
My confusion was that originally the secondary domain cert expired in Febuary and also the iomart cert expired in febuary, not being aware of the iomart cert i thought the issue was with the siteworx LE Cert.
Thank you for your time and as usual Jemma outstanding support :slight_smile:

Hi Bear

Many thanks for the update

Kudos to IW-Jenna and IW Support

John