Console War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Console War

Ok, I thought I would try out the "poll" feature with the forum to go along with my previous post. Which console will you buy, if any?
    PS3 ($599)
    22.73%
    Wii (?~$150-200)
    9.09%
    Xbox360 ($399)
    13.64%
    Already have an Xbox360
    9.09%
    Screw consoles, PC only!
    50.00%
    None, games are for kids
    9.09%
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ OFF unit ]
    [ WEB DESIGN / DEVELOPMENT, GRAPHIC DESIGN, OTHER STUFF
    ]

PC for the win! :D

I don't see any upgrade options for PS3/Xbox360... But plenty for PCs over the years ;)

Comment

I love PC gaming, but its starting to get rather expensive. Even with a new PS3 that will cost $600 which people are freaking out about, compared to a PC $600 is nothing for what you get. A top of the line video card alone cost about $500, then if you throw in SLI, and now these new physics cards you are looking at over 1k and that doesn't include RAM, MB, Hard Drive, etc, etc...

So while I'd love to keep playing games on PC, unless I hit the lotto it looks like its back to consoles.
      [ JUSTIN ]
      [ OFF unit ]
      ]

Comment

The problem with PC's is they're multi-purpose, not built exclusively for gaming (at least not for most people). I don't mind spending $1000-$1500 or so on good gaming system. Just build a Shuttle SN26 with a eVGA 7900 Superclocked CO Video card, 2GB OCZ memory, and AMD 4400 X2 CPU. PC gaming just fits my gaming style better, as I got older I started appreciating the types of games available on it more than consoles and their annoying game pads.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionHosting
          The problem with PC's is they're multi-purpose, not built exclusively for gaming (at least not for most people).
          It's funny i was just talking with a friend about that aspect of it, but then I was like you dont really need a physics card and SLI to run Firefox (although you might w/ windows Vista :p ).
          So while it's true PCs have multiple uses, if a regular computer cost $800 and to make it play games that are coming out the end of 2006 cost about another 1k thats pretty expensive.

Again dont get me wrong if I was making as much money as the InterWorx guys I would spend 2500 on a PC that could play Crysis later this year ;)

Not sure what my point is, but if anyone wants to give me cash so I can build a new PC im game
          [ JUSTIN ]
          [ OFF unit ]
          ]

Comment

Well the amount of entertainment I get from a custom built gaming rig for 1 or 2 years is worth it to me. Honestly I do go through PC's about every year then upgrade at least partially if not full. I've still got a Shuttle SFF, and Lian Li rigs taking up space, plus a Dell XPS laptop with a 6800 Geforce Ultra which I now just use for work. :P

As for add-ons like the Physics Card, that's just a waste right now, kinda out there like the products meant to increase immersion in games adding force feedback.

the #1 problem with the Physics card, no real killer game to show that it gives you an advantage or significantly increased amount of entertainment for the $200+ you'd have to spend on one.

#2. It's a first generation product from a no-name company that's trying to create a need. The way this usually works is larger companies in the same industry will take notice, either buy them out of business and incorporate the tech or kill it, or adopt similiar technology in their own existing products.

nVidia is already allluding to this, and I fully expect them to add physics support into existing GeForce video card GPU's. Video card GPU aren't even fully utilized, and with SLI you could devote your 2nd GPU to physics calculations in games that offered the feature.

#3. Hardcore gamers don't need or want better immersion, it distracts from the goal, and may put you at a disadvantage vs players not having extra eye candy on the screen or their input devices shaking everytime they get hit or jump.
            Last edited by FusionHosting; 05-12-2006, 06:38 PM.

Comment

he thing with consoles is that, when you are with friends or something you can easily sit and play Fifa or something with 4 or even 8 players.

Since that only happens once in a while, I don't see any extra benifets to buy a console.

I personaly bought a AMD Athlon X2 4200+ with 4 x GeIL 512Mbyte DDR Ram, a WD Raptor and a ATI X1800 (is that right? can't remember anymore, was the best one a year ago). I played BF 2 on it and 3 weeks ago most of the levels of Call of Duty 2. In my opinion, you won't get the expreiance, graphics and sound which you get with a PC.

Now it just is a very expensive office machine... which I use once in a while (read once a month or even less) for gaming, to damn bussy... But I have to say that encoding DVDs to Divx is going very fast ;-)
              The only aplications where I realy need the power is Everything from the Adobe CS and Macromedia studio.
              Last edited by Ramon; 05-15-2006, 04:39 AM.

Comment

I'm partial to the PS3 since it can run Linux.. Don't tell me I need a gaming console for games, that's WAY to easy, surely I'm meant to mod it and make it run a proper OS.

Comment

I have a 360!

Comment

I used Xbox 360 earlier, but now a user of PS3, I love playing Cars 2, Call of duty: Black Ops, Fifa 18 , Dynasty Warriors...all are amusing. although PS3 is bit costlier, its awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by Illingworth View Post
                      I used Xbox 360 earlier, but now a user of PS3, I love playing Cars 2, Call of duty: Black Ops, Fifa 18 , Dynasty Warriors...all are amusing. although PS3 is bit costlier, its awesome. happy wheels
                      Better to get ps3 cuzs there better single players games on it compare to Xbox.

Comment

Since I buy a good PC. I never bought consoles again!

Comment

Working...
                        X