Change Time Zone

I’ve done this many times before and it always worked. I looked at that page above and did everything, but for some reason the time will not change to EST from CST.

Anything I’m missing?

This worked for me on my move today. Also found another thread where I posted this:

Thats why I now set the “/etc/sysconfig/clock” which i had never done before.

Looks like this prevents it from being reset by other updates or reboots.

[QUOTE=Justec;27235]This worked for me on my move today. Also found another thread where I posted this:

Looks like this prevents it from being reset by other updates or reboots.[/QUOTE]

I personally recommend these:

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /etc/localtime
yum install ntp
ntpdate time.apple.com or ntpdate ntp.interworx.com

We list it here: https://licensecart.com/billing/plugin/support_manager/knowledgebase/view/55/i-got-this-error-cannot-set-date-help/5/

Hi Michael

Lovely answer, honestly, I may copy your knowledge base to use in our knowledge base which is not setup yet :slight_smile:

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=Licensecart;27238]I personally recommend these:

ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/UTC /etc/localtime
yum install ntp
ntpdate time.apple.com or ntpdate ntp.interworx.com

[/quote]

Yeah, that is part of the link at the top, step 4

Link your machine’s clock to a city in your timezone. Use the following command, replacing the region and city with your appropriate entries: ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Amsterdam /etc/localtime [3]
If your city is not listed in the timezone list, pick one from your same timezone.

The link also discusses the ntp, but most modern servers come with that preinstalled so it’s not needed.

I was just adding to this post that making that change to the clock in addition to setting the timezone is useful.