Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many Nodeworx and/or Siteworx user have iPhones?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many Nodeworx and/or Siteworx user have iPhones?

Just wanted to get any idea of how many InterWorx users out there own an iPhone. Maybe if there are enough of us could be some motivation for the devs to create a native application for connecting to InterWorx servers. I think this would be most useful for server admins using NodeWorx.
    Yup
    50.00%
    Not yet, but plan on getting an iPhone at some point
    7.14%
    Nope
    35.71%
    What's an iPhone?
    7.14%
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ OFF unit ]
    [ WEB DESIGN / DEVELOPMENT, GRAPHIC DESIGN, OTHER STUFF
    ]

Hey Justin -

I actually have an iPhone myself, and the idea has come up around the office already! Thanks for posting the poll - we think it's a good idea, too, but aren't sure where it fits in the list of priorities!

Tim

Comment

I just got approved for the dev program, just waiting for the new macbooks to come out so I can start programming...

This is probably a question for Chris or Paul, but if somehow I had time would there be any legal reason why I couldn't develop an app for connecting to Iworx servers?
      [ JUSTIN ]
      [ OFF unit ]
      ]

Comment

For personal use there certainly wouldn't be any legal issue Justec. There may be technical ones that you run into quickly :).

What functionality do you think would be most beneficial?

Paul
        Paul Oehler
        InterWorx-CP | http://interworx.com
        InterWorx Control Panel

Comment

Paul, what about releasing an app to the app store? Seems like that would be a bit of a gray area even if it didn't use any IW name/branding and was free. I guess when/if I have time to seriously considering it I would just need to discuss it in more detail with you guys and not on the forums. Also, as you said there are probably some technical issues that would come up where there would be a need for things to be changed in the IW code base to better aid the phone app.

I think first priority stuff to look at would those things that can't (shouldn't) wait till you are in front of a computer. Things like viewing critical services and being able to restart or start them (if they were down). Viewing system graphs and loads to be proactive so you won't need to restart services.

Other things that would be useful, but not as important are managing aspects of SiteWorx accounts. For me I manage about 80% of the accounts I host so if I was on the road and not in front of a computer I could offer a better service to my clients. For example if a client calls or emails me requesting a new email account being able to set that up for them right away instead of waiting till I'm back at home base.

I think things like creating/deleting siteworx accounts aren't really necessary for the app, but could always be added in a version update if everything else was done and working well :)

Also, with the new 2.1 firmware coming out with push notification service for apps there are probably some clever thing that can be done with that like sending an alert to the phone that a client is over their storage allocation.
          [ JUSTIN ]
          [ OFF unit ]
          ]

Comment

Why just iPhone? Why not any 3G capable phone? I can't bring myself to sign an AT&T contract even if the iPhone is free.

Comment

Originally posted by sysnop View Post
              Why just iPhone? Why not any 3G capable phone? I can't bring myself to sign an AT&T contract even if the iPhone is free.
              Because the iPhone just rocks for developers :P

+1 for iPhone support.

PS: AT&T really isn't that bad. I switched from Verizon (and even paid the early termination) and am not complaining.
              Last edited by sliqua; 09-16-2008, 06:50 AM.

Comment

I finally picked up a macbook and have started looking into app programming, a bit of a steep learning curve, but hopefully I can figure it out soon enough :)
                [ JUSTIN ]
                [ OFF unit ]
                ]

Comment

It seems that for mobile phone development, android is the "new hotness". One of my friends has acquired an HTC Dream running Android and he seems to have done a bit of work developing simple applications on it.

If anything it would probably make more sense to develop a mobile-phone friendly NodeWorx/SiteWorx page with some basic functionality instead of a full fledged Smart-phone Application. Although after playing around with some of the iPhone and Android apps I can definatly see a "spiffy" factory there. :D

I've also accessed an InterWorx server on my Blackberry Curve's built in browser (using the latest firmware) and I was able to add/modify accounts, restart services, and adjust configurations with little problem.
                  Jon Daniel
                  Software Engineer
                  InterWorx-CP | http://interworx.com

Comment

That would be pretty cool, if it was built into NodeWorx to detect iPhone or other mobile device and display a customized page vs building an app.
                    [ JUSTIN ]
                    [ OFF unit ]
                    ]

Comment

Working...
                    X