FTP and Shell Accounts

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTP and Shell Accounts

In order to allow people to FTP into their home directories, I've had to enable their accounts to use shell (although they're still set to use /sbin/nologin).

Is this normal, or a bug?

FTP Accounts are locked into /home/USRENAME/

From the FTP management page in SiteWorx, you can setup more FTP accounts and lock them into any directory from /home/USERNAME right down to any sub-folder below. :)
    Ledger Technologies Group Ltd - UK based dynamic group of companies that utilises existing and emerging technologies to provide data solutions for clients globally.
    EverythingWeb.Net Ltd - UK Based Website Hosting, Design & Maintenance.

The views expressed in the above messsage are purely my own and are in no way official or representative of the companies I represent.

Comment

Yeh the locking is good. But the server kept disconnecting users that didn't have the Shell Account thing "Enabled" :/

Comment

I uspect there is some confusion:

Are you using the main system user that is created by the first 8 characters of the domain (e.g mydomain for mydomain.com) or the ftp sub user ftp@mydimain.com -- note: the @mydomain.com is part of the user?

The main system user should NOT need to have ssh access for the subuser to ftp in.

Comment

Oh, I was using the first 8 characters.

I see now; any user can login with user@sld.tld, without having the shell enabled :)

Thanks Tim

Comment

People without shell enabled can't login now :(

I've had them try interworx-username@their-domain.tld, shell-username@their-domain.tld, and both of the usernames alone, but none work :(

Edit: Can't read, ignore this :D
            Last edited by Fr3d; 03-26-2006, 03:50 PM.

Comment

ftp@their-domain.tld ;)
              Ledger Technologies Group Ltd - UK based dynamic group of companies that utilises existing and emerging technologies to provide data solutions for clients globally.
              EverythingWeb.Net Ltd - UK Based Website Hosting, Design & Maintenance.

The views expressed in the above messsage are purely my own and are in no way official or representative of the companies I represent.

Comment

Originally posted by EverythingWeb
                or

[Any FTP name created in SiteWorx]@their-domain.tld
                [ JUSTIN ]
                [ OFF unit ]
                [ WEB DESIGN / DEVELOPMENT, GRAPHIC DESIGN, OTHER STUFF
                ]

Comment

Working...
                X