Observations in the first 24 hours of use...

Here’s just some things I’ve noted in the first 24 hours that “it’d be nice if” - basically food for the developers thoughts :slight_smile:

1. Easier IP configuration, automated at setup would be nice.

2. Multiple domain per account capability. This one is tricky, but it’s really handy for customers. I’ve only seen one other CP master this trick, but it really works well.

3. Add an email to customers when accounts are created. This email would be a “welcome” email that includes account quotas, paths necessary, and maybe a brief intro to InterWorx. Ideally, this email should be able to be edited via the CP email template screen so that the administrator can customize it for their needs.

4. Add the ability for SMTP to operate on an alternate SMTP port. According to RFC 2476, the acceptable alternate port is 587. We (for one) get a lot of customers (SBC/Yahoo!, Comcast, Cox, some Verizon, etc) that can’t send mail on port 25, but the alternate port (587) is open for them.

5. Plans for SSH? Are they in the works? You’ve already successfully jailed FTP, SSH shouldn’t be that much more difficult - albeit beyond my capability.

6. …never mind, 5 things is enough to consider me a pest - I dont wanna go any further :slight_smile:

These are just my initial impressions/thoughts. I promise I wont try to overwhelm you, but maybe I can bring insight from a couple of other competitors - and we can make this CP one of, if not THE, best on the market!!

Joe

I’m sure Chris or Paul will address these directly, but here’s my two cents:

Last I’d heard this was in development for InterWorx2.0

1. Add an email to customers when accounts are created. This email would be a “welcome” email that includes account quotas, paths necessary, and maybe a brief intro to InterWorx. Ideally, this email should be able to be edited via the CP email template screen so that the administrator can customize it for their needs.

InterWorx new integrates with several popular billing/ordering panels. Generally this software takes care of this kind of thing.

1. Add the ability for SMTP to operate on an alternate SMTP port. According to RFC 2476, the acceptable alternate port is 587. We (for one) get a lot of customers (SBC/Yahoo!, Comcast, Cox, some Verizon, etc) that can’t send mail on port 25, but the alternate port (587) is open for them.

Chris and I talked about doing this the hard way (manually) last week. Not sure if there are any plans to add this to InterWorx. Personally I would like it, but the reason many ISP’s block this port is to thwart spammers.

1. Plans for SSH? Are they in the works? You’ve already successfully jailed FTP, SSH shouldn’t be that much more difficult - albeit beyond my capability.

They’ve discussed it but a lot of us are against it for security reasons.

1. …never mind, 5 things is enough to consider me a pest - I dont wanna go any further :slight_smile:

These are just my initial impressions/thoughts. I promise I wont try to overwhelm you, but maybe I can bring insight from a couple of other competitors - and we can make this CP one of, if not THE, best on the market!!

Joe

Dont wory about that. I did the same thing when I started with Iworx a year ago :wink:

Wekcome to the cutl.

I remember I did this a long time ago manually (by trial and error), it worked, but I dont think the way I did it is the best way.

I copied /service/smtp to /service/smtp2
Then under SMTP2 directory I edited the run file and changed the port number to 26.

exec /usr/bin/softlimit -m 6400000 \
     /usr/bin/tcpserver -v -R -S -p -x $TCP_CDB -c "$MAXSMTPD" \
     -u "$QMAILDUID" -g "$NOFILESGID" 0 smtp \
     $RBLSMTPD $BLACKLIST $SMTPD $HOSTNAME $VCHKPW /bin/true 2>&1

I changed on the 3rd line where it says “smtp” to “26”.

I also created an smtp2 in /etc/init.d

Doing a netstat -a shows a listening port “smtp2” and from behind my bellsouth block port 25 I can connect to my Iworx qmail MTA via telnet on port 26.

I switched my outgoing mail in my exchange server to just use bellsouth mailserver because for some reason the above SMTP2 would randomly stop working and I never really investigated it further. :rolleyes:

This is exactly what Chris suggested. I just haven’t had the nerve to try it yet.

I switched my outgoing mail in my exchange server to just use bellsouth mailserver because for some reason the above SMTP2 would randomly stop working and I never really investigated it further. :rolleyes:

My problem is that my ISP mail server sometines decides to stop working or I get a Norton update and it won’t let me connect with my firewall up untill the next update. :frowning:

In the initial implementation of iworx we tried to stay away from what we considered lower level functions, and this was one. Looking at the software now I agree that a IP add / delete feature would be a good addon.

1. Multiple domain per account capability. This one is tricky, but it’s really handy for customers. I’ve only seen one other CP master this trick, but it really works well.

This was designed in from day 1 and we’ll be finishing up the coding on it as we can. It’s not top of the list priority-wise but it is on there, and absolutely doable.

1. Add an email to customers when accounts are created. This email would be a “welcome” email that includes account quotas, paths necessary, and maybe a brief intro to InterWorx. Ideally, this email should be able to be edited via the CP email template screen so that the administrator can customize it for their needs.

I’m torn on this one. So far we’ve left this type of thing to any interfacing billing software. We internally use ModernBill and the client e-mail always seemed to fit better on the billing level as opposed to the CP level. We’ve had a few requests for this so as we can we’ll check it out again.

1. Add the ability for SMTP to operate on an alternate SMTP port. According to RFC 2476, the acceptable alternate port is 587. We (for one) get a lot of customers (SBC/Yahoo!, Comcast, Cox, some Verizon, etc) that can’t send mail on port 25, but the alternate port (587) is open for them.

This will be down the line a bit if we get it in at all. It is doable as others have posted but not from the CP itself. I’m happy to check this out as we get there.

1. Plans for SSH? Are they in the works? You’ve already successfully jailed FTP, SSH shouldn’t be that much more difficult - albeit beyond my capability.

short answer is yes. jailed ssh is on the list.

Thanks for the comments!

Chris

I would say just provide a method of updating the main new-website template with this and any other info, that way all that’s needed is for the user to go to their domain.