Database setup still failed. Please contact InterWorx Support.

I followed the installation instructions, everything went well until the initial DB creation. I am running Fedora Core 4 on a VPS. It seems that mysql will not start with your packages. Can you help ?

Can you paste the error message you’re getting?

also the output of

rpm -qa | grep mysql

±---------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Setting up initial InterWorx DB |

>> looks like iworx was setup before on this box, skipping db setup

WARNING: There was a problem setting up the database info - going to initalize databases and try again…

| Setting up initial InterWorx DB |

Database setup still failed. Please contact InterWorx Support.

[root@vps bin]# rpm -qa | grep mysql
php-mysql-5.0.4-10.5
mysql-iworx-4.0.21-4.fdr40.iworx

mysql
ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock’ (2)

I’ve tried several times to reinstall, but I get the same result. I even tried the stock mysql 4.1.18.0 packages and got the same result.
What do you think ?

mrancier,

Tail /var/log/mysqld.log:

tail -f /var/log/mysqld.log

And then in another terminal, restart MySQL:

service mysqld restart

Do you see anything in the mysqld.log? What messages do you get while MySQL is restarting?

Socheat

I am trying to install on FC2 now. I will let you know. Thanks.

I’m still having problems with the install. Installation on FC2 and FC3 went fine but has very old mysql and php packages. Too old. I can’t use it. Do you guys support suse or debian or anything else other than redhat or CentOS?

Do you still have a FC4 install up? If you open a ticket, we can check out the FC4/IWorx installer problem. We’ll need your root login information.

Thanks,
Socheat

No I do not have FC4 anymore. I did ,however, try to install on FC3 and upgrade to 4 , and as you probably imaging the results were desastrous. Fedora is really starting to be quite a pain. My provider offers CentOS 3.x as well, however I am dreading that I am going to run into the same situation, as it is pretty much the same POS OS.

Looking at your repositories I see Mysql 4.0.21 and php 4.3.11 for CentOS 3. Unfortunately my provider does not offer CentOS 4.x. I need mysql 4.0.16 at least with php 4.4.2. The prospect of building these packages from source is not what I would like. By the way, why do only the latest releases of OS have the most current versions of the packages I need ? I mean, my last host was running on RH9 and still had mysql 4.1.16 and PHP 4.4.1 .

This is the nature of most (perhaps all) respectable Linux distributions. It’s a matter of stability and reliablity. A lot of time is spent on each distributions release (between FC1 and FC2, or CentOS 3 and CentOS 4) making sure it’s stable, which means picking the most current version out, and working with that. Once a release is deemed stable, the only updates that are allowed are security updates or major bugs that were not found during the development of that release. If newer versions of things like MySQL and PHP are released in the middle of a distribution’s dev cycle, it usually gets put into the next release, rather than incorporating it and restarting the entire testing process.

Debian is a prime example of this. Debian 3.0 (stable) was released in mid-2002, Debian 3.1 was just released Dec. 2005. Between that time, packages in Debian 3.0 (stable) changed very slowly. Sure, you could use the “testing” or “unstable” repository, but at your own risk.

It’s likely that they built their own RPMs or installed from source for you.

Socheat

My mistake, Debian 3.1 was released middle of 2005 and the first 3.1 update was released in December, 2005.

Thank you all for your responses. At the moment I am upgrading to FC4 again and I was wondering what I should be looking for to address the issue of mysql not starting.

You said that you’re installing InterWorx on a VPS. What kind of VPS is it? Xen? Virtuozzo? Something else? This may make a difference in solving the problem.

It’s Virtuozzo. JaguarPC VPS

mrancier,

Could you post the results after following the steps in my earlier post?
http://www.interworx.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6995&postcount=4

We’ve seen problems with CentOS 3.6 and Virtuozzo VPS, and it might be affecting you as well, but we’ll know for sure after you can provide the error messages from mysqld.log.

Thanks,
Socheat

I’m half way through the upgrade so give me a bit of time and I will post the results. Your assistance is much appreciated and respected.