Email accounts and groups question

Hi!

I have found some threads that give some workarounds to what I want to do but none is exactly what I need…

For example, I have a customer which has 2 employees with pop email accounts :

bob@company.com
sue@company.com

While sue is on vacation, bob wants to get a copy of what sue receives but sue still needs to have a copy of these emails when she gets back.

I don’t want to change the pop account of sue to something like sue_pop@company.com and then create a group called sue@company.com that redirects to both sue_pop and bob. The reasons for this is that I will be deleting the email account with the emails in it (or have to copy them) in order to create a new account for sue and configure it on her computer and then later create a group that is called sue that redirects to sue_pop and bob… And I will need to do this for all customers on vacation next summer on all servers… I will be doing this all summer long… LOL! :slight_smile: Also, it is hard to understand for most customers that their email address is sue@company.com and their username is sue_pop or something similar…

We have other servers on Ensim (that we eventually want to replace with InterWorx) and we are able to do this on them (create an alias sue that redirects to account sue and account bob) and when sue comes back, just delete the alias… It is really simple and works great.

I don’t know if it is a feature request, a bug or else but the question remains…

Thanks!
Matt.

I also see that I cannot create an alias or group and add an auto-responder to this alias or group to receive emails and have an auto-response (something like, Your email was transferred to our support team and we will respond within 24 hours) meaning we have received the email into an account or into multiple accounts and there is an (one) auto-response at the same time… I was also able to do this in other panels as ensim and cpanel.

It is surely related to the same bug or feature request that I originally asked about!

Thanks!
Matt.

For example, I have a customer which has 2 employees with pop email accounts :
bob@company.com
sue@company.com
While sue is on vacation, bob wants to get a copy of what sue receives but sue still needs to have a copy of these emails when she gets back.

If I’m understanding you correctly, this would be as easy as setting bob@company.com as the “send copy to” address for the sue@company.com e-mail box, during the time that she is away.

I also see that I cannot create an alias or group and add an auto-responder to this alias or group to receive emails and have an auto-response (something like, Your email was transferred to our support team and we will respond within 24 hours)

You can accomplish this either by creating an e-mail box support@company.com, and setting a “vacation” message for this e-mail box, which will send an auto-response to senders, or, you can create an auto responder support@company.com, which will send a response to folks that send to it, and also forward the message they send to a “send copy to” e-mail address (for example an e-mail box, alias, or group).

Does that help?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply, it is really appreciated!

Excellent, I just did not think about it! You know what it is, when you are used to some interfaces, you sometimes don’t see what you should! :slight_smile:

Still, the problem could arise with one more email address…

bob@
sue@
tom@

sue goes on vacation and bob + tom + sue must receive sue’s emails…

But up to that point, I don’t recall the last time I saw this configuration on our servers so it is not important that there is a solution right now… But still, this could be an interesting feature. (as it is available on other panels)

We finally had the question asked by a customer and found a workaround so if it is useful to any of you reading this post, here is how we did it :

In the same example as above, create a mail group named something like sue_redirect that sends an email to bob and tom and in sue’s email account, add the new sue_redirect email group address in the forward a copy to field…

Helped us this time but maybe there is a better way to do it and if someone knows a better way, post it here, it could help us and/or others.