cPanel Import & SNI

Hello,

Does the Import function not take into consideration that SNI is enabled on the server? I am trying to import a cPanel backup and getting the following error.

? Increased slave domains quota : 0 => 1
? You need a dedicated IP to implement SSL
? Quota sanity check failed

Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam

Welcome to Interworx forums.

I hope you don’t mind, but I did not think you could transfer SSL from one server to another, and you need to generate a new SSL for the new server.

If am correct, then SSL would not be part of the import, and can be checked by running the following command, where you will see no options listed for SSL

~iworx/bin/import.pex --h

I’m sorry of I am wrong

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;25748]Hi Sam

Welcome to Interworx forums.

I hope you don’t mind, but I did not think you could transfer SSL from one server to another, and you need to generate a new SSL for the new server.

If am correct, then SSL would not be part of the import, and can be checked by running the following command, where you will see no options listed for SSL

~iworx/bin/import.pex --h

I’m sorry of I am wrong

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

Hello,

Oh yeah you can transfer SSL from server to server as long as you have the SSL certificate and private key.

Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam

Sorry, it’s the private key which may be different and to replace the keys, do they not need to have been generated first on new server.

As I said though, I could be wrong as I have never had to face this particular issue, and my general rule of thumb I use is to generate fresh, so there are no other systems with same keys.

I hope you don’t mind my thoughts, and I’ll follow this post to see what other users think/do re SSL import.

Many thanks

John

John,

No the key is specific to the SSL only and not to the server. So as long as you have the private key that was generated for the SSL certificate in question you can take with you to another server.

The problem here is that Interworx is coming across the SSL in the cPanel backup file and rather than applying it SNI its wanting a dedicated IP assigned to the account in question, but it should be able to install this on an SNI basis.

Thanks
Sam

Hi Sam

Many thanks, and sorry, it must be my age, maybe getting too old, so remembering SSL from a lifetime ago

I understood about SNI where your import was failing, and to be honest, I would advise open a support ticket to let IW have a look as to its reasons then, which also help in making the cpanel importer better, as SNI has only recently been introduced into IW-cp.

Many thanks

John

John,

Yeah, ticket has been opened thanks. Just wondered if anyone else came across the issue :wink:

Thanks
Sam

You just need the dedicated IP for a SSL to move over :slight_smile: but not sure about SNI never had anyone ask me before :stuck_out_tongue: lol.

Hello,

Yes I think what I will need to do is just reserve a dedicated IP on the machine for transfers with SSL. So the hope is I set this up on a dedicated IP and then import it, once I’ve done that move it back to the shared IP which hopefully will then allow the domain to work using SNI.

Thanks
Sam

Hello,

So here is the official answer.

Yes, because you are running el6 SNI is possible on your server. This is actually an issue with the importer, and a feature request has been submitted regarding this error. Right now the work around is to create a dummy local IP that is dedicated, and then import using that IP address. Then change the ip to the shared IP in NodeWorx -> SiteWorx -> Manage IPs. I’ve added this ticket to the feature request as an additional example.

Thanks
Sam