Subdomains as secondary domains: DNS Zone files

Hey guys,

we have a customer who is using a lot of subdomains for special project servers and thus want to separate them from the webspace of the main domain. So far so good, this can easily be done via a subdomain as secondary domain.

But those naturally get their own zonefiles set up automatically. Since those subdomains are only running webapps and no Mail, FTP and nothing else, all I would actually need is the one CNAME entry at the main domain instead of a zone file for each and every subdomain.

I am tending towards simply deleting the zone files and setting them as CNAME records for alls subdomains (much easier to manage). The other, much more tedious way would be to edit each subdomain zone file and throw out all the obsolete stuff (MX, SPF, CNAMES, NS etc.). But I guess thers is absolutely no reason to do that and deleting the zone files is the way to go.

Any objections?

Hi Michael

I hope you don’t mind my thoughts, and we have similar clients, but my thoughts have always been the same, the resources are used when referenced and they would never be referenced, therefore there usage is negligible in my mind.

My concern is if the template is used in overall zone settings, you would be changing these as well, but as I said above, I have never concerned myself with the extra dns records as they would never be referenced.

I’m sorry if that sounds lazy, and you would be correct, it is, but it is so small to me it does not matter against the size of our drives.

I’m sorry if I am wrong and other users may have third own ideas, which may be more preferred.

Many thanks

John

Hmm, theres actually one more thing: When I set up a subdomain as secondary domain, it’s zone file is created (see above) and it is listed under “Secondary Domains” in Sitworx with its IPv4 address. Now if I delete the zone file and just give it a CNAME under the second-level domain, this entry in Sitworx is naturaly still there.
So my guess would be, the iworx-server still has the subdomain assigned to that IP but it doesn’t matter as any external DNS request points to the CNAME I’ve set up, right?
Or am I screwing things up this way?

Hi John :wink:

So you’re saying simply ignore the zone files? Maybe you’re right, but I know I would get up one night, walk to the PC and clean them out :smiley: I know, OCD… hehe

But what I take from your answer is, my thoughts were correct… Thanks - as always.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael

I’m sorry, it’s late here and I’ve had a cold beer, sorry, it’s been a real hot day.

I’m thinking it might also involve the vhost file, but could be wrong and may be worth having a quick check in case there’s anything referencing the subdomain etc…

I could be wrong sorry and I’ll have a think and reread tommorow if alright.

To answer your dns question, if external dns request, I would think your correct but internal may not be a dns request but referenced in vhost file.

Many thanks

John

Oki doki, thanks and have a good night :slight_smile:

Hi Michael

Haha, many thanks, you’ve cheered my night up :smiley:

I call that playing Star Wars, which I once did and brought a server down for hours, was called into a board room meeting to explain, oh… Only ever did this once and never forgot it.

Have a lovely night, it’s now tommorow here :persevere:

Many thanks

John

New day, new questions :smiley:

I am a bit mystified by the ipv4.domain.com entry in the zone files. What is that for?

Hi Michael

I believe this was introduced when ipv6 was added, and most likely is an internal means to run both ipv4 and ipv6 together.

I could be wrong sorry

Many thanks

John

Sorry, if you check your template or dns zones, you will see a corresponding ipv6.domain.com, hence my thinking above

Hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

jep, you’re right about the IPv6 entry. But for DNS there are A and AAAA records for both. You say some internal means. Maybe the {ipv4} variable is accessing that record? Can someone from iworx confirm or explain?

Those records were added with the release of v.5.0 but I can find no further explanation.

“Added ipv4.{domain} and ipv6.{domain} default records for zones”

Hi Michael

Those records are required to correctly use dns and they identify both the ipv4 A record and ipv6 AAAA record, this allowing dns to distinguish between the 2.

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

sorry, not sure what you are saying. But to define the ipv4 record you use an A record and for defining ipv6 you use AAAA, so why the need for creating additonal ipv4.{domain} and ipv6.{domain} default records?
I’m not saying they are useless, I am trying to learn what they are good for and since I couldn’t find much on the subject on the web either.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael

I hope you don’t mind but I’m perhaps getting slightly confused over your post sorry.

There has to be ipv4 A and ipv6 AAAA records to seperate out the different nodes, and for dns to resolve both A and AAAA records correctly.

I’m just travelling to Liverpool but when I’m back I’ll see if I can google a good explanation for you

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

Hey John, yep you really got confused or I simply didn’t write it clearly :wink: Sure I know about A and AAAA records, that was I was saying. What I don’t know about are the additional ipv4.{domain} and ipv6.{domain} records.

Let me visualize it:

domain.com IN A 123.456.789.0
domain.com IN AAAA 1a01:2b0:123:4c56::2/64
ipv4.domain.com IN A 123.456.789.0 <----- why these?
ipv6.domain.com IN AAAA 1a01:2b0:123:4c56::2/64 <----- why these?

:smiley:

Hi Michael

The first set are for dns use and the second set are for network use.

At leaste that’s my understanding

Hope that helps

Many thanks

John