PHP Mail not Sending Emails

Evening all,

So I just about have Interworx running smoothly on my VPS but have encountered a problem with emails not being send from Magento (transactional and Contact Form)

The magento install is a direct copy from my current host whos also using the same version of Interworx and it works fine there, also amended the SPF and emails arent going to spam or anything. Ran a quick PHP function to see if PHP Mail was enabled and it came back OK

So i checked was Sendmail installed, it wasn’t, so tried to install via YUM and got an error saying conflict with Qmail so my guess is Interworx use qmail as its more secure than sendmail ? Which brings me to my question, is my previous host using sendmail as Magento doesn’f work with Qmail or do I need to make some server file modifications to get them working ?

Any insight appretiated

Bob

Hi bob

I hope you don’t mind, but your correct IW uses qmail.

I’m not sure about nexcess but I’m thinking your easiest resolution would be to set php to use localhost, which should work fine.

I’m sorry though, it’s late here and I know some of our clients use magneto. Without issue on email.

I hope that helps but if not, I’ll think about it more and if needed urgently, you maybe better to open a support ticket.

That said though, what if any changes to IW have you made… I ask because kujoe asked but didn’t give details which I should have asked for, and has posted he found his problem

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

It already is using localhost which is the bit thats confusing me. I remember when with nexcess I had to disable local delivery on the domain as I use Gmail / Google Apps but I have done that also with no success.

Apart from installing Percona & Mod_Pagespeed IW is pretty much out of the box. I havent made any firewall or Mail modifications as its a little above my technical level to fiddling around with those particular settings.

I’ll keep investigating and update here if I find the problem / solution

Thanks,
Bob

Hi bob

Many thanks, localhost for webmail form should work, subject to certain conditions but not the settings in the form. Ie RDNS and receiving server checks etc

Setting the siteworx account email to disabled only if the mx record for siteworx domain is pointed to a different server, like gmail etc again this has nothing to do with webform sending.

The sendmail you referred too was not sendmail the program, it just relates to sendmail.php, which is likely what they call their form.

Perconna and pagespeed should not affect the sending

I have quickly installed magneto and am easily able to send email from it, although the part I tried was email to friend, which is where when I looked at headers, found your sendmail.php

I can pm you the site, but it’s on a test server if you want to try it, but please understand there is no RDNS etc set correctly, and therefore may fail to you but at your mail service provider.

Have you checked your mail logs and que

I am thinking it might be tied in with your old magneto you used, whereby it Is set to a different provider perhaps, and if you have tls set, as it’s been sent directly on same server, I’d set this to standard 25, and let qmail tls it when sending.

I hope this helps a little

Many thanks

John

Hey John,

Thanks for doing that. I tested and recieved that email instantly from your install.

Theres nothing in the mail logs or the Queue.

I’m going to install a fresh version of magento on a test domain and see if the default install will send email.

Thanks,
Bob

Hi bob

Glad it worked.

You probably know already, but you can use the 1 click installers to install magneto. Simplescripts is free but softaculous you need the paid version, and although simplescripts, you cannot set an account up, I think it might use IW subs.

Hope that helps and I’ll uninstall magneto from our test server.

Many thanks

John

Do you have IPv6 enabled on your server? I had a nightmare of time with qmail when I first installed Interworx and found the problem ended up being IPv6 after working with my data center to track down the issue. Basically I forgot to setup both an A and a PTR record for my IPv6 address which qmail defaults to and because of this no e-mails leaving the server would be received by any popular e-mail providers (I could receive them on my personal mail server but my spam filters would delete them before they hit my inbox).

Hi kujoe

The ipv6 used to not set the A record but this was corrected quite a long time ago.

The outgoing ip used for qmail can be defined for server wide or domain specific, just in case you were not aware.

The issue seen by bob was that it was not even reaching the mail server.

Many thanks

John

[QUOTE=d2d4j;25997]Hi kujoe

The ipv6 used to not set the A record but this was corrected quite a long time ago.

The outgoing ip used for qmail can be defined for server wide or domain specific, just in case you were not aware.

The issue seen by bob was that it was not even reaching the mail server.

Many thanks

John[/QUOTE]

I was using external DNS in the beginning because I was re-installing the host quite a bit while testing different control panels and configurations. Since it seems like he has a fresh install from his original post, I figured I’d point out the IPv6 thing just in case it was overlooked (or even possibly not routed properly).

I didn’t know you could set the outgoing IP for qmail, I searched all over without any luck.

If he has an IPv6 address on the server but it’s not routed properly then that could be why it’s not leaving his server. Again, just taking some guesses based on my past experience so even if it doesn’t help him it might help somebody else who finds this thread.

The fact that there is nothing in the logs is very strange which is why I was thinking it might not be a qmail issue since qmail is pretty good at logging.

Hi kujoe

Many thanks, and please see this post for qmail outgoing ip setting.

I think though, from memory, it might now be set to use the A record ip of each domain, but this can be changed from server settings from nodeworx

Many thanks

http://forums.interworx.com/showpost.php?p=16499