A few questions regarding mail

We are doing our first steps on iworx-cp and slowly I am getting to know (and love) the most important things. But there are still some questions:

1. iworx-cp creates postmater@{domain} automatically on account creation. Where can I add more adresses, i.e. which template controls this? I’d like to add the other RFC recommendations automatically too.
  2. If I only want to allow SMTP over TLS for our users, what do I set the Primary SMTP Server settings to?
  3. If we only allow mail via SSL/TLS, we need to have certificates for each maildomain. Can I force all other accounts, who don’t have a certificate to use mail.ourdomain.com (and thus our certificate) instead of mail.customerdomain.com?

Thanks in advance

Michael

Hi Michael

I’m sorry, it’s my last post tonight, but I posted re rfc required email addresses, ie abuse but I did not find an answer sorry. It maybe possible with hooks though, but not had a lot of time.

I think you would have to set to auth over tls, and stop if you want 100% compliance on the 110 and 25 ports.

The siteworx accounts outgoing email ip from sending server uses the siteworx ip it is assigned to. So if all are on shared ip, and your SSL is on this ip, then your fine, but if siteworx is on dedicated ip, to be sure, they would need a SSL on it, or set the outgoing sendmail to use a specified ip, which then you can set your SSL on. Ideally you should have wildcard ssl.

Hope that helps and sorry if I’m wrong, and have a lovely night

Many thanks

John

Good Morning John,

I had a look at the event hooks plugin but I am no programmer and am slightly out of my depth here :slight_smile:

what do you mean by “stop if you want 100% compliance on the 110 and 25 ports.”? 110 is blocked already, as we’ll only allow secure Pop3 (and IMap). But 25 needs to be open for inbound mail from other servers - I hate SMTP, I never could fully wrap my head around it… :wink:
Do you mean stop outbound port 25? (There has been a lot of discussion regarding that point on the web)

Sure we have wildcard ssl, but thinking about my question and your answer let me rephrase my question to a much simpler one: Can I simply tell all my customers to use mail.ourdomain.com (with SSL) instead of mail.customerdomain.com (and remove mail.{domain} from the DNS Template respectively replace it with mail.ourdomain.com)?
If later some customers get their own certificates, we need a dedicated IP for that anyway, so I their mailserver is listeing on that IP and we’re fine.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael

Many thanks, and yes sorry, I forgot about port 25, which does need to be left fully open, bearing in mind some mail servers will use this, sorry.

You can set your outgoing IP to a specific IP if you read this post. You can also define if a domain uses a different outgoing IP as well.

http://forums.interworx.com/showthread.php?t=8045

The MX records are not as important in sending IP as the sending IP must have PTR setup on it. Well it doesn’t, but if not set you run high risk of been refused.

SSL, you can turn on SNI, then use more then 1 SSL, which works lovely but there is an issue which I post the link to post later if alright, or use dedicated IP.

I hope that helps a little

Many thanks

John

Hi Michael

I’m sorry, I have just reread your post and you can set the dns template as you need, and set all domains to use your mx records. However, please be aware the resellers and siteworx accounts have full access to dns to be able to change records, so this is the only weak point.

Also, please see this post for SNI SSL.

Hope it helps a little

Many thanks

http://forums.interworx.com/showpost.php?p=25038

Heya John,

yes, that all helps a lot, thanks a million.

The only thing left now is to understand event hooks and gettings those rfc mail adresses setup. But maybe this is something for the iworx staff, as I’m sure others will need this to. Maybe someone can chime in and tell us, where/how the postmater@{domain} is created automatically on account creation, then we can edit that for the other mails.

Thanks again John, you’re like this forum’s one-man-support-army :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael

Your very kind, but there’s a lot of people on here with more experience and knowledge then myself, and thankfully do answer posts. Alas, I am wrong sometimes but I don’t mind to admit when I am sorry.

Please see this post for event hooks, which should have you up and running quickly. I even made it a sticky after the post for sticky, which I apologise as I cannot recall the user who posted it sorry, and tapatalk means I cannot look whilst typing this.

Hope that’s alright

Many thanks

http://forums.interworx.com/showpost.php?p=25612

I’d like to bump this and ask if someone knows where/how the postmater@{domain} is created automatically on account creation, then we can edit that for the other required (RFC) mails.

Thanks

Michael

Hi Michael

I hope you don’t mind but this has been added to the feature request, so it’s on the roadmap I hope to be added.

I asked and quoted your post so it’s noted.

Also, the default FTP password has also been added on the feature request, so hopefully both may not be too far away

Hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Ah, I didn’t know that. Thanks John. So I’ll wait patiently.

I have a suggestion @iworx regarding those RFC mail adresses. Would it be possible to take them out of the number of E-Mail boxes limited by the package? They are more or less required, but most users actually don’t really care. I guess some would simply remove them, if they need more mailboxes than their package allows and taking them out of the calculation would prevent that.

Hi Michael

I hope you don’t mind, but we add 2 email accounts to client email settings, 1 is actual and 1 alias but we are looking forward to the accounts been setup at start of account.

I believe it is a requirement which could have big implications if no electronic communication is available on the domain ie in certain circumstances, some domains could be cancelled or take away.

I could be wrong though, or might have misunderstood sorry

Many thanks

John

Hi John,

yep, those email accounts created at client account creation are the ones I am talking about (as discussed further up). What I am asking now is additonally to create them by default (postmaster, webmaster, abuse… there are more but those are the most commonly checked afaik) I would suggest to not count those as E-mail boxes limited by the clients package.
So if your client has a package with 5 mailboxes, “webmaster@”, “hostmaster@” and so on shouldn’t be counted.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael

I’m sorry, I’m still working and getting tired sorry, so I failed to explain well enough my thoughts sorry.

I meant, using your example, where you define 5 mail boxes, we would define 7 mail boxes, thereby allowing for the additional 2.

I do understand with regard to users who do not hold unlimited licence, where this may become an issue, but I prefer to maintain standard and if client want to delete the mail boxes, it’s there choice and risk.

I hope this explains better and once again I’m sorry for not explaining fully

Many thanks

John

Hehe, it could be that we are saying the same thing :wink:

But let me try the simplest explanation: User has ordered XS Package with just 1 mailbox allowed. He is a cheapo and I want to be able to sell him that XS package for EUR 1. Right now he simply can’t set up a mail adresse because postmaster@cheapoclient.com is already set up for him. In the future we will have even more mailboxes setup automatically for him and I am saing “Don’t count the RFC mailboxes, only count the clients 1 email box” :smiley:

Something else just occurred to me. What happens to Pointer Domains? Those would be required to have RFC mailadresses to, but afaik pointer domains don’t have/allow Mailboxes. Wouldn’t it be good anyway, to alllow this? We ve’got quite a few customers, who get something like domain.de and domain.com and would like to have these as pointer domains with just one website, but still use a mailadresse with each domain. Sure, we could do secondary domains and redirect per httaccess, but the general client can’t do that himself (not our clientele anyway)

Hi Michael

I hope you don’t mind, but I don’t think pointer domains have MX records, and therefore no RFC are involved.

If the client wanted mail as well, the records would need to be setup or use secondary.

I could be wrong as I need to check to be sure, but with our clients, most do not want mail accounts but for those who do, we normally set them.

I hope that helps

Many thanks

John

Hi Michael

I am sorry, you are correct and pointer domains creates full DNS records.

The issue I see is when the pointer domain is setup, you cannot assign any email services to the pointer domain.

I’ll have to think about this a little more, as it would be better to have the pointer domain added to mail services at the same time as an alias to the live domain.

Once again, I’m sorry, I should have thought/tested first sorry

Many thanks

John

Hi all,

coming back to this I know that there’s a plugin now that enables us to create as many emails on account creation as we want. That’s great.
What would be even better, if the had the possibilty to make some of those aliases/forwarders. Having those RFC adresse is good, but not having to check several accounts for abuse messages or so would be great.

And if the plugin could then be run manually per siteworx domain and also on pointer domains it would be perfect. This way we could easily add missing RFC adresses to existing accounts and that would solve the pointer domain problem.

Cheers,

Michael