Can't get email with Thunderbird 2.0

Hello Everyone!

I am about to flip out because no matter what I do, I simply cannot get Thunderbird 2 to download my email.

Here are my current settings:[INDENT]server name: mail.a2z-central.com
port: 110
username: emb@a2z-central.com
[/INDENT]I always run into this error even though the password that I am using was copied directly from Horde (where I can log in and view my email):[INDENT]Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server mail.a2z-central.com responded: Authentication failed (bad password?)
[/INDENT]I have also tried just about every combination of every port setting and I have restarted all of my pops. I have been reading through threads all afternoon and have tried just about everything. Nothing has worked.

And because I have tried everything, I think that everything is messed up to the point that I would not know where to begin to clean it up. I would love it if someone could tell me the best way of starting over and give me a step-by-step on how to set up my email. My brain is totally fried and I think a clean slate would be best.

Thanks!

Ed

Hello,

I think the problem is that you are trying to paste the password from Horde instead of typeing it. IIRC the passwords are hashed out (shown as astericts) in the Horde interface and if you past that you just get the astericts not the actual password.

Here is what I suggest, either from SiteWorx or Horde reset the password for the account to something else (or what you believe it to be) and then try logging in by typeing that password.

Tim

I was brain dead and unclear

Hey Tim,

I’m going to give your suggestion a try because it certainly can’t hurt but I wasn’t clear when I wrote the post. I use Password Safe and I am copying the passwords from there and pasting them into Horde and Thunderbird. Horde works but Thunderbird doesn’t. However, other Password Safe passwords that I use with Thunderbird do work so I doubt the problem is caused by asteriks or something like that.

Thanks,

Ed

Hey Tim,

I tried your suggestion and typed the password in manually and it did not work. Got any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Ed

Hi Ed,

If you’re the owner of the server that InterWorx-CP is installed on, it’d probably be best to open a support ticket with us, and provide the root login info, along with the steps to reproduce the error, so we can check out the problem and see what’s going on.

If you’re not the server owner you’ll want to contact the web host, and if they can’t figure it out, they can contact us via support desk with the relevant info.

Paul

Ed did in fact open a support ticket, and I the problem here is the same one described in this forum post:

http://interworx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1941&highlight=xinetd

In short, the xinetd is running some other pop3 server on port 110, not the one that InterWorx uses. You can do what Socheat suggests in that thread, or just uninstall xinetd alltogether, unless you need it for something (InterWorx-CP does not need it).

yum erase xinetd

Paul