CentOS 4.3 servers crash; no panic output

Is your problem solved?

[B]Yes WebXtra, my processor crashed the server. I’ve change it and now is OK.

Thanks for your help WebXtra :slight_smile:
[/B]

You’re welcome, glad that I could help.

Same thing here!

Well, I was just browsing the boards, and I saw this issue. We haven’t moved our sites over to the Interworx CP yet, but sure enough. I also haven’t check the box in a week or so either. So I went to SSH into the box, and we are experiencing the same issue. The box locked up completely. Only thing I can do is ping the bad boy. Unfortunately it’s still at the DC, so next trip we’ll have to upgrade the kernel, or take some other measures. What a bummer!

We are equally frustrated that CentOS hasn’t included these patches in their stock kernel, as they come from them, but because CentOS has a policy of only recompiling RHEL kernels for their standerd kernel and RHEL isn’t making the change, it doesn’t look like they plan to. :frowning:

We can tell you that we have it running on several dozen boxes between the Iworx, Nexcess and Client boxes and without exception it has fixed the problem and we have had no other problems.

I’m sorry if this is a stupid question, but witch one do I download from that page?

Server crash… no ping…

I just had the same thing happen today… my server was operating just fine and then everything stopped… I thought it was my network host but their network was fine (did tests to another machine on same network). I was completely unable to ping. When the crash happened I had virtually zero server load (haven’t gone live yet :slight_smile:

The problem was only ‘fixed’ by a cold reboot using an APC boot port…

I’m strangely comforted by the fact others have reported the same problem (less likely to be my hardware or host), but I certainly hope this isn’t a problem with Interworx as I’ve only been using it for about one week… As a matter of fact I was in the middle of writing an install document for Tomcat and Interworx which was totally lost :frowning:

Cliff.

run rpm -q kernel

Then compare that to the ones on the site. Only difference should be the version number and the .iworx on the end.

We have both versions .150 and .175. .175 was done for CentOS 4.3.

Remember you need to reboot your box to kick in the new kernel.

I have Centos 4.3.

rpm - q kernel reports:

kernel-2.6.9-22.EL
kernel-2.6.9-34.0.1.EL

Does this look right?

Cliff.

We’re sorry to hear that, Cliff. Since patching the kernel has without exception fixed the problem, and it only happens on the one distro, it’s unlikely that it’s a problem with InterWorx. Nonetheless we are watching the issue very carefully.

Yes then you are going to want

Linux 2.6.9-175.EL.iworx

download it with wget and run

rpm -Uvh Linux 2.6.9-175.EL.iworx

Then

shutdown -r now

That should load the new kernel and fix your problem.

Good luck!

I did the wget command in this form:

wget http://updates.interworx.com/iworx/RPMS/cos4x/experimental/i386/kernel-2.6.9-175.EL.iworx.i686.rpm

It downloads successfully, but when I put this command:

rpm -Uvh Linux 2.6.9-175.EL.iworx

it gives me an error saying:

error: open of Linux failed: No such file or directory
error: open of 2.6.9-175.EL.iworx failed: No such file or directory

Hi Arya-

You need to specify the rpm you downloaded, not the generic item that Tim posted. i.e. rpm -Uvh /path/to/wherever/therpm/is/located/kernel-2.6.9-175.EL.iworx.i686.rpm

–Dustin

My box was crashing way back when until I was lucky enough to use the .iworx version. I currently have .150. But since that time centOS has been upgraded to 4.3 and I wanted to know if I should just stick with what works (.150 has not crashed 1 time in months) or is there a security or other reason I would want to upgrade to .175 (since you said .175 is for 4.3)

Thanks

Thanks, I installed it everything went ok

.175 was created for 4.3 but if you aren’t having issues then I’d stick with .150 – I am also running 4.3 on my personal box and am still using the .150 kernel with no problems.

[root@iworx ~]# uptime
 15:10:45 up 133 days, 12:27,  1 user,  load average: 0.05, 0.04, 0.00
[root@iworx ~]#

and counting :slight_smile:

It doesn’t work that way right now. our interface uses yum wich is only a front end for rpm and to use rpm itself you need to do it manually.

I see your problem, you used the package name not the full name of the RPM

assuming you are in the directory where you downloaded it to run

rpm -Uvh kernel-2.6.9-175.EL.iworx.i686.rpm

If it ain’t broke :stuck_out_tongue:

Tim, you may want to double-check that command with the fellas. Last I heard, you shouldn’t -U a kernel. I would have said that the install command for a kernel is

rpm -ivh http://updates.interworx.com/iworx/RPMS/cos4x/experimental/i386/kernel-2.6.9-175.EL.iworx.i686.rpm

(yes, rpm can be fed URLs)

You can also find out what kernel you’re running (as well as if it’s smp or not) by running
uname -r

Thanks Chris, I know you can run it it via a URL. Just figured it would be less complicated for hom to wget it first and I was doing several things at once so I was kinda lazy to grap the exact url :wink:

As for -Uvh it is the command Socheat gave me to run when I did it.

Thanks for the tip on uname -r I’ll add it to my own little bag of tricks :slight_smile: